Re: Witsius concerning Men on Mars/Better Link

  • jwoods87
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
      ---Since all creation testifies of God the truth of what is not known
      will also point to God and to His plans. When man seeks ET he
      actually is seeking an alternative or lie rather than the Lord. If
      God created other worlds, what then...would our Lord be sacrificed
      again and again? No rather man seeks to explain away a testimony.

      A man sees a light. It follows him for a distance. Is it a UFO? Yes
      he says it must be. To say otherwise would be to confess something
      real the man chooses not to accept. Should he bow to the light? No.
      Should he seek God and only God and not the light following him? For
      it is a testimony. Yes.
      We are all in the world God created. There is a part of that world we
      do not see and indeed it is God's intent. But we have been told of
      the part we do not see by God Himself. To seek exaplantion other than
      God's is to seek a release from truth. We do not seek after the
      unseen we know is there understanding it is not for us to know now
      but in the times to come we will understand far better, but we seek
      after God alone, for Him only should we serve.

      There are no extra-terrestrials.

      Some seek this other world in the mind. They believe that man's mind,
      the brain matter itself carries so much more ability than man uses.
      God will perfect man in His time, but these believe man so complex in
      nature, having evolved, that man can create things well beyond his
      own ability. As example the indivudals who believe man can bend a
      fork by the use of the mind, or those who believe they can call up
      the dead, rather than the ones already sentenced to eternal death.
      And even they, they can not 'call up.'

      God's Word provides the answer here but the man apart from God gives
      all credit to his own 'secret' powers. He can hypnotize another even
      to have memories of events that in fact never occurred. He can crawl
      within his mind so deeply that he can explain away all of the witness
      about him. He can create spirits or call them up in seance so as to
      frighten those present and not expecting results to look like dead
      kin that change their form and become frightening in appearance. Man
      can create worlds within and beyond, but in the final analysis it
      will be of no gain to his soul. But even in this is a witness. For
      God has said it would be so.

      http://www.truecovenanter.com/against_the_world/vain_dreamers_and_thei
      > r_imaginary_worlds.html
      > >
      > > Tom
    • timmopussycat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        Has anybody confirmed that Witsius is actually citing Kepler? I have
        not read him first hand but I have seen a few Kepler quotes and the
        styles do not match.

        Puzzled meow
        TP

        <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
        > Here ya go:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/e1ge
        >

        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"
        > <bander1643@y...> wrote:

        http://www.truecovenanter.com/against_the_world/vain_dreamers_and_thei
        > r_imaginary_worlds.html
        > >
        > > Tom
      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmopussycat"
          <timmopussycat@y...> wrote:
          > Has anybody confirmed that Witsius is actually citing Kepler?

          Well, it is and it isn't...

          Kepler wrote a science fiction story about a man who travels to the
          moon by winged demons conjured up by his mother thru witchcraft. I
          forget if the story says the man had a dream of doing this, or if
          Kepler was having the dream of a man telling him about this. Somehow,
          there is a dream involved. Could be that the man's mother conjured a
          demon to take him in a dream to the moon. I forget. The book was
          called Somnium and was published after Kepler's death. It was a
          project Kepler was working on on and off for apparently some time. I
          don't think the story was finished when Kepler died.
          In the story, he tried putting in details of things that he believed
          were true about the moon, based on his own predictions and
          observations. As his own mother was accused of witchcraft,and I think
          perhaps executed, many saw the story as having more to it than meets
          the eye, that it was intended to refer to him dreraming of what he
          believed the moon was like, based on his own observations and
          theories. It is my undersdtanding that there were added to the story
          a number of notes with observations and predictions. In the story, he
          claims to meet lunarians, plants, and animals on the rock and dust
          covered moon.
          The idea that men lived on the moon was a common idea in the science
          community of that day. It was supported by Galileo, and I have heard
          (not confirmed) that Kepler's inclusion of lunarians in his story was
          part of expresiing his views about the moon - namely, that he
          believed it inhabited. But I can't confirm whether or no that is
          actually true.
          (As an aside, such notions remained popular in the science community
          for some time - William Herschel in the 1700s claimed it as a given
          fact that the moon was populated. He claimed that the craters of the
          moon contained lunar cities, and was also so bold as to proclaim that
          the sun had a solid surface in the middle and was also inhabited -
          the latter of which views is recorded in the 1795 Transactions of the
          Royal Society.)
          The mention of the Selenographia refers undoubtedly to the work of
          that name issued about that time by Hevelius, consisting of
          attempted maps of the lunar surface. I have not seen this work, only
          one (or perhaps a few, I don't recall for sure) maps from it, so I
          can not confirm whether he places a footnote incredulously accepting
          that Kepler actually saw men in his telescope. Yet this seems the
          most probable source of the claim that Kepler believed he saw people
          in his telescope. But the source itself could be none other than
          Kepler's Somnium.

          The Lucian who is mentioned in the text is Lucian of Samosata. He was
          an ancient author who wrote of a trip to the moon (I think via birds)
          and meeting inhabitants there. It was translated into English in
          1634.
          Around the same time, Francis Godwin released a work about a man
          flying to the moon on a goose and finding men on the moon 28 feet
          tall. I am uncertain whether his work is also alluded to in some of
          what Witsius wrote.
          All these works were released at about the same time and contributed
          to a growing movement at that time favouring that men lived in outer
          space.
          That's about all I can confirm with respect to this offhand.
          -thebishopsdoom