Witsius concerning Men on Mars

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
    • jwoods87
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
        ---Since all creation testifies of God the truth of what is not known
        will also point to God and to His plans. When man seeks ET he
        actually is seeking an alternative or lie rather than the Lord. If
        God created other worlds, what then...would our Lord be sacrificed
        again and again? No rather man seeks to explain away a testimony.

        A man sees a light. It follows him for a distance. Is it a UFO? Yes
        he says it must be. To say otherwise would be to confess something
        real the man chooses not to accept. Should he bow to the light? No.
        Should he seek God and only God and not the light following him? For
        it is a testimony. Yes.
        We are all in the world God created. There is a part of that world we
        do not see and indeed it is God's intent. But we have been told of
        the part we do not see by God Himself. To seek exaplantion other than
        God's is to seek a release from truth. We do not seek after the
        unseen we know is there understanding it is not for us to know now
        but in the times to come we will understand far better, but we seek
        after God alone, for Him only should we serve.

        There are no extra-terrestrials.

        Some seek this other world in the mind. They believe that man's mind,
        the brain matter itself carries so much more ability than man uses.
        God will perfect man in His time, but these believe man so complex in
        nature, having evolved, that man can create things well beyond his
        own ability. As example the indivudals who believe man can bend a
        fork by the use of the mind, or those who believe they can call up
        the dead, rather than the ones already sentenced to eternal death.
        And even they, they can not 'call up.'

        God's Word provides the answer here but the man apart from God gives
        all credit to his own 'secret' powers. He can hypnotize another even
        to have memories of events that in fact never occurred. He can crawl
        within his mind so deeply that he can explain away all of the witness
        about him. He can create spirits or call them up in seance so as to
        frighten those present and not expecting results to look like dead
        kin that change their form and become frightening in appearance. Man
        can create worlds within and beyond, but in the final analysis it
        will be of no gain to his soul. But even in this is a witness. For
        God has said it would be so.

        http://www.truecovenanter.com/against_the_world/vain_dreamers_and_thei
        > r_imaginary_worlds.html
        > >
        > > Tom
      • timmopussycat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
          Has anybody confirmed that Witsius is actually citing Kepler? I have
          not read him first hand but I have seen a few Kepler quotes and the
          styles do not match.

          Puzzled meow
          TP

          <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
          > Here ya go:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/e1ge
          >

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Britton"
          > <bander1643@y...> wrote:

          http://www.truecovenanter.com/against_the_world/vain_dreamers_and_thei
          > r_imaginary_worlds.html
          > >
          > > Tom
        • thebishopsdoom
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmopussycat"
            <timmopussycat@y...> wrote:
            > Has anybody confirmed that Witsius is actually citing Kepler?

            Well, it is and it isn't...

            Kepler wrote a science fiction story about a man who travels to the
            moon by winged demons conjured up by his mother thru witchcraft. I
            forget if the story says the man had a dream of doing this, or if
            Kepler was having the dream of a man telling him about this. Somehow,
            there is a dream involved. Could be that the man's mother conjured a
            demon to take him in a dream to the moon. I forget. The book was
            called Somnium and was published after Kepler's death. It was a
            project Kepler was working on on and off for apparently some time. I
            don't think the story was finished when Kepler died.
            In the story, he tried putting in details of things that he believed
            were true about the moon, based on his own predictions and
            observations. As his own mother was accused of witchcraft,and I think
            perhaps executed, many saw the story as having more to it than meets
            the eye, that it was intended to refer to him dreraming of what he
            believed the moon was like, based on his own observations and
            theories. It is my undersdtanding that there were added to the story
            a number of notes with observations and predictions. In the story, he
            claims to meet lunarians, plants, and animals on the rock and dust
            covered moon.
            The idea that men lived on the moon was a common idea in the science
            community of that day. It was supported by Galileo, and I have heard
            (not confirmed) that Kepler's inclusion of lunarians in his story was
            part of expresiing his views about the moon - namely, that he
            believed it inhabited. But I can't confirm whether or no that is
            actually true.
            (As an aside, such notions remained popular in the science community
            for some time - William Herschel in the 1700s claimed it as a given
            fact that the moon was populated. He claimed that the craters of the
            moon contained lunar cities, and was also so bold as to proclaim that
            the sun had a solid surface in the middle and was also inhabited -
            the latter of which views is recorded in the 1795 Transactions of the
            Royal Society.)
            The mention of the Selenographia refers undoubtedly to the work of
            that name issued about that time by Hevelius, consisting of
            attempted maps of the lunar surface. I have not seen this work, only
            one (or perhaps a few, I don't recall for sure) maps from it, so I
            can not confirm whether he places a footnote incredulously accepting
            that Kepler actually saw men in his telescope. Yet this seems the
            most probable source of the claim that Kepler believed he saw people
            in his telescope. But the source itself could be none other than
            Kepler's Somnium.

            The Lucian who is mentioned in the text is Lucian of Samosata. He was
            an ancient author who wrote of a trip to the moon (I think via birds)
            and meeting inhabitants there. It was translated into English in
            1634.
            Around the same time, Francis Godwin released a work about a man
            flying to the moon on a goose and finding men on the moon 28 feet
            tall. I am uncertain whether his work is also alluded to in some of
            what Witsius wrote.
            All these works were released at about the same time and contributed
            to a growing movement at that time favouring that men lived in outer
            space.
            That's about all I can confirm with respect to this offhand.
            -thebishopsdoom