Comments on an Accident

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2003
      September 4, 1777.

      My Dear Sir,

      ---Poor little boy! it is mercy indeed that he
      recovered from such a formidable hurt. The Lord
      wounded, and the Lord healed. I ascribe, with you,
      what the world calls accident, to Him, and believe,
      that without His permission, for wise and good ends, a
      child can no more pull a bowl of boiling water on
      itself, than it could pull the moon out of its orbit.
      And why does He permit such things? One reason or two
      is sufficient for us: it is to remind us of the
      uncertainty of life and all creature-comforts, to make
      us afraid of cleaving too closely to pretty toys,
      which arc so precarious, that often while we look at
      them they vanish; and to lead us to a more entire
      dependence upon Himself; that we might never judge
      ourselves or our concerns safe from outward
      appearances only, but that the Lord is our keeper, and
      were not His eye upon us, a thousand dangers and
      painful changes, which we can neither foresee nor
      prevent, are lurking about us at every step, ready to
      break in upon us every hour. Men are but children of a
      larger growth. How many are labouring and planning in
      the pursuit of things, the event of which, if they
      obtain them, will be but like pulling scalding water
      upon their own heads! They must have the bowl by all
      means, but they are not aware what is in it till they
      feel it.

      I am, &c.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com