Strength in Trial

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2003
      From The Letters of John Newton:

      I hope, in the midst of all your engagements, you find
      a little time to read His good Word, and to wait at
      His mercy seat. It is good for us to draw nigh to Him.
      It is an honour that He permits us to pray; and we
      shall surely find He is a God hearing prayer.
      Endeavour to be diligent in the means; yet watch and
      strive against a legal spirit, which is always aiming
      to represent Him as a hard master, watching as it were
      to take advantage of us. But it is far otherwise. His
      name is Love! He looks upon us with compassion; He
      knows our frame, and remembers that we are but dust;
      and when our infirmities prevail, He does not bid us
      despond, but reminds us that we have an Advocate with
      the Father, who is able to pity, to pardon, and to
      save to the uttermost. Think of the names and
      relations He bears. Does He not call Himself a
      Saviour, a Shepherd, a Friend, and a Husband? Has He
      not made known unto us His love, His blood, His
      righteousness, His promises, His power, and His grace,
      and all for our encouragement? Away, then, with all
      doubting, unbelieving thoughts; they will not only
      distress your heart, but weaken your hands. Take it
      for granted upon the warrant of His word, that you are
      His, and He is yours; that He has loved you with an
      everlasting love, and therefore in loving-kindness has
      drawn you to Himself; that He will surely accomplish
      that which He has begun, and that nothing which can be
      named or thought of shall ever be able to separate you
      from Him. This persuasion will give you strength for
      the battle; this is the shield which will quench the
      fiery darts of Satan; this is the helmet which the
      enemy cannot pierce. Whereas, if we go forth doubting
      and fearing, and are afraid to trust any farther than
      we can feel, we are weak as water, and easily
      overcome. Be strong, therefore, not in yourself, but
      in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. Pray for me, and
      believe me to be,

      Yours, &c.

      http://www.puritansermons.com

      TdB