Encouragement from the grave

  • weeping_calvinist
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2003
      "There fell down many slain, because the war was of God." --1
      Chronicles 5:22

      "Warrior, fighting under the banner of the Lord Jesus, observe this
      verse with holy joy, for as it was in the days of old so is it now,
      if the war be of God the victory is sure. The sons of Reuben, and the
      Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh could barely muster five and
      forty thousand fighting men, and yet in their war with the Hagarites,
      they slew "men, an hundred thousand," "for they cried to God in the
      battle, and He was entreated of them, because they put their trust in
      Him." The Lord saveth not by many nor by few; it is ours to go forth
      in Jehovah's name if we be but a handful of men, for the Lord of
      Hosts is with us for our Captain. They did not neglect buckler, and
      sword, and bow, neither did they place their trust in these weapons;
      we must use all fitting means, but our confidence must rest in the
      Lord alone, for He is the sword and the shield of His people. The
      great reason of their extraordinary success lay in the fact that "the
      war was of God." Beloved, in fighting with sin without and within,
      with error doctrinal or practical, with spiritual wickedness in high
      places or low places, with devils and the devil's allies, you are
      waging Jehovah's war, and unless He himself can be worsted, you need
      not fear defeat. Quail not before superior numbers, shrink not from
      difficulties or impossibilities, flinch not at wounds or death, smite
      with the two-edged sword of the Spirit, and the slain shall lie in
      heaps. The battle is the Lord's and He will deliver His enemies into
      our hands. With steadfast foot, strong hand, dauntless heart, and
      flaming zeal, rush to the conflict, and the hosts of evil shall fly
      like chaff before the gale."

      C.H. Spurgeon.

      ---