Re: Extraordinary gifts and offices.

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2003
      I found an article on the RPNA website under Writings: "A Reformation
      Discussion of Extraordinary Predictive Prophecy Subsequent to The
      Closing of the Canon of Scripture" by a PRC Session. It starts with
      a brief overview of the offices and gifts of prophet, evangelists,
      apostles, etc. Yes, I too understood that the Reformeds were not
      strict cessationists when I read that helpful article.

      Whit
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Martin"
      <paleopuritan@h...> wrote:
      > I am looking for resources on the matter of extraordinary gifts and
      > offices. By this I mean the offices of Apostle, Evangelist and
      Prophet
      > along with the various gifts which accompanied those offices (ie:
      prophecy
      > and tongues). From my perusal of various Reformed
      writings/commentaries it
      > doesn't seem like the Reformers were strict cessationalists.
      However, given
      > the existence of the Anabaptists with their mysticism that was
      prevalent in
      > their days it seems that they should have encountered similar
      errors as we
      > find amongst those who denominate themselves Pentecostals.
      >
      > A few questions I'm looking for more information on are:
      > 1) Where can I find a detailed explanation of what these offices
      and gifts
      > consisted of?
      > 2) Did all of those extraordinary offices and gifts absolutely
      cease in the
      > early days of the church? By absolutely, I mean that if anyone
      should now
      > claim them, they are on that ground alone to be deemed false.
      > 3) If in fact there may still be found extraordinary manifestations
      of these
      > offices or gifts, what are the criteria for trying them?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Martin
    • seamrog1935
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2003