The Death of Christ

  • Dan Fraas
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2003
      The death of Christ Jesus is a well-known event. But what did He
      accomplish by it? By His death Jesus accomplished salvation for
      sinners. The Bible tells us on the cross Jesus 1. redeemed, 2.
      propitiated, and 3. reconciled His people.

      Ephesians 1
      7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of
      sins, according to the riches of his grace;

      Redemption is the purchase of a posessed item. In a human context it
      means purchase from slavery. We were slaves to sin but Jesus bought
      us on the cross. He did not merely pay the price, He also received
      that which He paid for. He did not just make redemption possible.
      He redeemed us. We are His because He bought us. We were slaves to
      sin, but now we belong to Jesus.

      1 John 4
      10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and
      sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

      Jesus propitiated our sins. Propitiation means a turning away of
      wrath--an appeasement. We stood under the wrath of God until Jesus
      took it away on the cross. Now no more wrath remains on God's people.

      Hebrews 2
      17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his
      brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in
      things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the
      people.

      Through His death Jesus reconciled us to the Father. Reconcilation
      means that we, who were once God's enemies, are now adopted as
      members of His family. Jesus did not merely make it possible for us
      to be reconciled, He made reconciliation for us! Because of Jesus'
      death we are now members of His family!

      Because of the infinite effective power of Jesus death for
      redemption, propitiation, and reconciliation, we are saved. Those
      who perish eternally have not been redeemed, propitiated, nor
      reconciled by Jesus' death. It is not possible that anyone for whom
      Christ died will remain a slave to sin, suffer God's wrath, or be an
      enemy of God.

      For Christ's Crown and Covenant!

      Riley
    • s.padbury@tiscali.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2003
        >The death of Christ Jesus is a well-known event. But what did He
        >accomplish by it? By His death Jesus accomplished salvation for
        >sinners. The Bible tells us on the cross Jesus 1. redeemed, 2.
        >propitiated, and 3. reconciled His people.

        Glad to see that you're firing on all five cylinders, Riley!

        Regards, Simon.
      • Looie J Zinga
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2003
          Dear Riley;

          You gunna get in trouble preaching the truth !

          Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all
          which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up
          again at the last day.

          Christ did what you said He did for his people, His sheep, the elect,
          whom the Father gave to Him in eternity. And not a single one for whom He
          died will be lost, but He will raise all His sheep up again at the last
          day.

          Joh 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that
          cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

          The ones given to Christ by the Father will all come to Christ; every
          single one of them. These are the ones for whom He died and reconciled
          to His Father... and no others.

          Isn't it... Wonderful !

          lz....

          On Fri, 09 May 2003 14:15:47 -0000 "Dan Fraas" <fraasrd@...>
          writes:
          > The death of Christ Jesus is a well-known event. But what did He
          > accomplish by it? By His death Jesus accomplished salvation for
          > sinners. The Bible tells us on the cross Jesus 1. redeemed, 2.
          > propitiated, and 3. reconciled His people.
          >
          > Ephesians 1
          > 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of
          > sins, according to the riches of his grace;
          >
          > Redemption is the purchase of a posessed item. In a human context it
          >
          > means purchase from slavery. We were slaves to sin but Jesus bought
          > us on the cross. He did not merely pay the price, He also received
          > that which He paid for. He did not just make redemption possible.
          > He redeemed us. We are His because He bought us. We were slaves to
          > sin, but now we belong to Jesus.
          >
          > 1 John 4
          > 10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and
          > sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
          >
          > Jesus propitiated our sins. Propitiation means a turning away of
          > wrath--an appeasement. We stood under the wrath of God until Jesus
          > took it away on the cross. Now no more wrath remains on God's
          > people.
          >
          > Hebrews 2
          > 17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his
          > brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in
          > things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the
          >
          > people.
          >
          > Through His death Jesus reconciled us to the Father. Reconcilation
          > means that we, who were once God's enemies, are now adopted as
          > members of His family. Jesus did not merely make it possible for us
          > to be reconciled, He made reconciliation for us! Because of Jesus'
          > death we are now members of His family!
          >
          > Because of the infinite effective power of Jesus death for
          > redemption, propitiation, and reconciliation, we are saved. Those
          > who perish eternally have not been redeemed, propitiated, nor
          > reconciled by Jesus' death. It is not possible that anyone for whom
          > Christ died will remain a slave to sin, suffer God's wrath, or be an
          >
          > enemy of God.
          >
          > For Christ's Crown and Covenant!
          >
          > Riley

          Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Looie J Zinga
          Message 4 of 11 , May 11, 2003
            On Sat, 10 May 2003 14:07:03 -0000 "Susan" <susan_wilkinson@...>
            writes:
            > Hi Looie.
            >
            > I see you've decided to rejoin us. I hope that this time we're going
            >
            > to be spared the hypercalvinism rhetoric. (Jerry ~really~ hates
            > that.)
            >
            > If so, glad to see you back! :)
            >
            > Susan

            Dear Susan

            May I ask you to explain what you mean by 'hypercalvinism rhetoric'... or
            give an example. Thanks.

            Looie; aka jozinky

            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2003
              On Mon, 12 May 2003 03:37:54 -0000 "Susan" <susan_wilkinson@...>
              writes:
              > Hi Looie,
              >
              > If you go to post 2231 in this group you will see a post by gmw from
              > long time ago that well describes the kind of hypercalvinistic
              > rhetoric I'm talking about. Hopefully that will not describe you. :)
              >
              > Susan

              Dear Susan,

              Im still baffeled? Could you explain what prompted you to post what you
              did? What makes you think I engaged in hypercalvinistic rhetoric ?

              Joz..

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • jozinky
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2003
                --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
                <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
                > Hi Looie,
                >
                > If you do a search in the archives for the posts from the last time
                > you were here (I believe a lot of them had the subject line "CS
                > Lewis") and compare them to post 2231, you may be less baffled. If
                > you're still confused after reading those posts, then we'll just
                > assume I'm wrong for the moment and see what happens.

                Hello Susan;

                Well M'am... I searched hi n lo and found no such posts you are
                referring to? What do you mean by 'the last time
                > you were here'? Im still here. Maybe you have me confused with some
                other buddy. I think your assumption that you are wrong is probably
                well founded at this point. However it is possible I may have missed
                whatever posts you are referring to in my search; so if you could
                produce anything that I might have missed then we could take it from
                there. Otherwise it might not ne a bad idea to consider all the facts
                before leveling a judgment on someone without any support.

                > Hope you enjoy your time here. :) Although things have been a bit
                > quiet lately. Maybe you have something in particular you want to
                > discuss?

                How about... inordinate judgment of others. You could make the
                subject line read; Jumping the gun! Suggested text; John 7:24

                Joz
              • jozinky
                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2003
                  <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
                  > Sorry you couldn't find anything, Looie. Maybe this will help jog
                  your
                  > memory.
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/bkjs
                  >
                  > Those are some posts to peruse for starters. In post 6115 I believe
                  > you intimated that you were leaving. After that you didn't post
                  until
                  > now so I assumed you had indeed left the group. I assumed improperly
                  > it seems. At any rate, enjoy reading those posts. There may be more,
                  > that was just a quick search I did.
                  >
                  > Susan

                  Dear Susan;

                  OK thanks 4 finding those old posts. I dont know how I missed them in
                  my search. I usually save posts but I did not save these so forgot
                  about them. However, in reading thru them I STILL did not see
                  anything that would substantiate your charge of hyperism. Most of them
                  were over the issue of regeneration. I did see several questions I
                  had asked both you and Jerry that went unanswered. Did you want to get
                  a bit more specific as what you mean by hypercalvinistic rhetoric?
                  Perhaps a quote from something I said in those posts.

                  Thanks;
                  Joz...
                • Dennis Humphrey
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12, 2003

                    New site churchhistorian.com

                    Dennis

                  • jozinky
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 12, 2003
                      <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
                      > Nah, I don't think so. I don't want to go back and read through
                      those
                      > posts as I didn't like the conversation the first time.

                      Dear Susan;

                      Thanks; I didn't think you would follow through. In such case I am
                      sure you would want to be more careful with leveling charges against
                      others that you are not prepared to substantiate.

                      Joz..
                    • Jason Robert Schuiling
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                        Boy Loo-sauce, some kinda jerk you are, didn't your mother teach you
                        how to treat a lady? Susan has shown you more patience and answered
                        more of your questions than the arrogant, "I don't know what you're
                        talking about...?", trouble-causers like yourself deserve. Susan's
                        charges were more substantiated than they needed to be, thank you.
                        How 'bout acting more like a man and less like bratty toddler that
                        isn't getting his way, huh?

                        Jason

                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "jozinky"
                        <loozinga@j...> wrote:
                        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
                        > <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
                        > > Nah, I don't think so. I don't want to go back and read through
                        > those
                        > > posts as I didn't like the conversation the first time.
                        >
                        > Dear Susan;
                        >
                        > Thanks; I didn't think you would follow through. In such case I am
                        > sure you would want to be more careful with leveling charges
                        against
                        > others that you are not prepared to substantiate.
                        >
                        > Joz..
                      • thebishopsdoom
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 17, 2003
                          <susan_wilkinson@q...> wrote:
                          > Well, we'll let anyone interested read the posts for themselves and
                          > see if they see any hypercalvinistc rhetoric, or not. I've given
                          the
                          > pertinent post numbers for anyone who cares to see. My guess is
                          that
                          > not many will be interested enough to see.
                          >
                          > Moving on...
                          > Susan
                          Yeah, but if no one looks back at some of the old club postings from
                          the classic days of the hypercalvinist debates (to which most of us
                          are both repulsed and yet attracted as a moth to flame), they will
                          miss such unforgettable moments as
                          Message 2230 of 8519...

                          "If a hyper-calvinist beats himself to death with a shovel, is the
                          purpose and design of a shovel to kill?
                          If a hyper-calvinist jumps off a bridge, did the engineer design the
                          bridge for suicides?
                          If a Christian speaks peace to a hyper-calvinist, are either of them
                          regenerate?
                          When the Brazen Serpent was lifted up before the people of Israel,
                          was it's purpose
                          to make people die of snakebites?
                          When a reprobate sits down to eat his meal, should he be thankful to
                          God for cursing him with food?
                          Enough of
                          the stupid questions, please.
                          gmw."