Private and Occasional Communion Allowed by the Old Reformed Presbytery

  • Gary Gearon
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2003
      Good material BD. I am curious what your view is of the current situation with the rpna, and other covenanter groups...

      I thought the following is timely:

      "Private Christian communion, we apprehend, consists
      in the joint discharge of those religious duties which are not
      peculiar to official characters as such, but are common to them and
      all Christians at large, in their individual capacity
      . Of this kind
      we may reckon reading the Scriptures; religious conversation, as
      opportunity offers, in the course of providence; occasional prayer
      with the sick; when desired; praising God in the family, when
      providentially lodged together; joint craving of Heaven's
      blessing on
      the provision of our table, and such like. From private and
      occasional communion, with Christians of other denominations, in
      things like these, we never thought of debarring our people
      ; though
      we cannot help being of opinion, that church fellowship should ever
      be regulated by some such scriptural terms as those which we have
      endeavoured to exhibit and explain." (The Reformed Presbytery. An
      Explanation and Defense of the Terms of Communion.)"

      When the phrase "and such like," is used, this implies Liberty in such private things that do not have a public ministerial ceremony in effect, such as; wakes for the deceased.