Re: The Question of Presbyterian Pharasaism

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Gary
      Gearon" <GGearon@p...> wrote:
      > Dear Riley,
      >
      > Actually the Presbyterians did some restriction (which some
      > may call "Pharasaical") on "walking in fields." The practice of
      > "walking in fields," is forbidden on the Lord's Day. Perhaps
      > someone may offer an appropriate quote from the WCF, LC or
      > SC.

      The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland had a small
      controvesy over Sabbath observance. It forbade the use of buses
      and trains on the Lord's day even in using them to get to church.
      This was one of the issues which had lead Professor John
      Murray to leave the FPC for good.

      In addition, I was told by a few FPC members that in Scotland
      they would fully cover their windows of their homes on the Lord's
      day, especially if it were sunny, in order to avoid the temptation of
      going outside for recreational purposes. I don't recall if were an
      actual order of the church or just a tradition among the
      highlanders, but the former seems consistent with their church
      decree on public transportation.

      Colin