Re: the second commandment

  • eccl_811
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2001
      >>"We all this talk of Islam and
      worshipping a false god. It is interesting to me how many
      evangelicals violate this commandment with pictures of Christ
      had read something interesting this morning in James
      Durham's Commentary on Revelation concerning Islam and
      idolatry. It was actually a lecture on Rev.9:12-21, but on
      the 20 & 21 verses, he gives a brief history of
      Mohammed.<br><br>"...he asserteth One only true God, and denieth the
      Trinity of Persons, and absurdly asserteth a twofold
      personality of the God-head; he is against all Idols and
      Images, and allegeth himself to be specially
      commissionated against Idol-worship: and it may be that God
      having purposed him indeed to scourge that sin, hath
      also wisely ordered that, partly to make him the more
      instrumental in pursuing that sin, partly the more to convince
      and shame Christians that should be addicted to it.
      These things and such like may be more fully gathered
      came from a reformed church before I moved to Oregon
      which allowed pictures of Chrit in the nursary. A few
      of us mentioned this does violate the second
      commandment. But to appease those who put them up said it did
      not violate the second commandment because they were
      in the nursary and not the
      Baptist congregation, who must have believed, that unless
      you were to actually chisel a stone statue and
      worship it, you were not commiting idolatry. They also
      had their pictures in the nursery ("children's
      church"?!@?)and "fellowship hall" - BUT, in the worship room
      there was instead a 20ft. wooden cross, above the 500
      gallon baptism tank/staging area, facing the
      congregation. And It was a natural temptation to use that peice
      of wood in my sinful passions, especially in my
      ignorance.<br><br>Someone, speaking on habitual sin, in a sermon I recently
      heard, compared sin to an oak tree - that when new, an
      oak sappling could be removed easily from the ground,
      but when aged and firmly rooted into the dirt, it