Re: Act Declaration and Testimony

  • Brian Kirkman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2003
      I'm actually quite glad this topic has come up. I came across this section
      a few weeks ago as I was plowing through the RPNA subordinate standards. I
      talked briefly about it at an RPNA society that we're attending. All of
      this RP stuff is fairly new for me and my family (RPW, EP, NT Sabbath,
      family worship, covenanting, etc.), but we are making tremendous headway by
      God's grace. Until a couple months ago I did not have anyone I could even
      discuss these precious doctrines with in person and peacibly.

      So about "play-houses", I have many questions. First, since the RP did not
      elaborate on the correlation between "pagan entertainment" and "the stage" I
      was wondering if someone could point me to a more thorough analysis
      (preferrably by a Covenanted Presbyterian). As it is worded in this section
      of A,D&T it could be interpreted a few ways.

      What is pagan?
      1. The use of the stage
      2. The use of the stage to act (either actual events like battle
      reinactments or fictional)
      3. The use of the stage to act falsely (fictitious plays)
      4. The use of the stage to act out immoral events
      5. The use of the stage to act out moral events in vain
      6. The moral character of the actors who are being countenanced
      7. The use of the stage to ________________(?)

      Given that I do not know the interpretation intended by the RP beyond what
      is provided in the context, it would appear to be #4 above. However, this
      is my first brush with this concept and am already having my seared
      conscience mended as well as my ways. Thanks for the help.

      Seeking truth and peace that is true,
      Brian Kirkman

      Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:56:22 -0500
      From: "Gary Gearon" <GGearon@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Act Declaration and Testimony

      >From what I understand Jasper, it has to do with the historical/academic
      value of the actual event. Perhaps we could do a search in the Scriptures
      that pertain to acting. I do not have time at the moment for the search, as
      I am heading into Georgia from Mississippi, and need to get rolling...