Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: French Reformers

  • Thomas Roche
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2003
      The Bowdoin family was a leading Huguenot family that
      settled in Puritan Massachusetts. Bowdoin College in
      Maine was set up in the 1790s, and remains a leading
      institution today. Pronounce the name (boh-din).

      Indeed, the father of Paul Revere, Antoine Rivoire,
      came to Mass. in the early 1700s, and changed his name
      'that the bumpkins might pronounce it easier'.

      --- "nocost2great <nocost2great@...>"
      <nocost2great@...> wrote:
      > <shan128@b...>
      > wrote:
      > > YeaH GREAT links on Huguenots!
      >
      > I am going to have to check them out. I have an
      > Huguenot ancestry as
      > well although I don't remember the French spelling.
      > My grandfather's
      > last name was Bowdoin. My aunt has a geneology book
      > that traces the
      > family tree all the way back to France. They came to
      > America as
      > refugees and changed the name spelling then. My
      > husband's family is
      > from Scotland. One of these days when I don't have
      > anything else to
      > do <haha> I am going to research and determine if he
      > has a Covenanter
      > heritage. That would be so cool!
      >
      > Dee Dee
      >
      > who is still sick and needs to go to bed!

      =====
      Dr. Thomas P. Roche
      Librarian
      The Marvelwood School
      476 Skiff Mtn. Rd.-- PO Box 3001
      Kent, CT 06757
      tertullianus_2000@...
      (my opinions do not reflect those of my employer)

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/