French Reformers

  • Simon Padbury
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
      Dear all,

      Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches, or
      websites?

      Best regards,

      Simon Padbury
    • James D <jamescovie@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
        Hi,
        Is anyone able to get this to play? I am asking cuz I can not get it
        to play. I was wondering if it is my computer or it is the file?
        JD

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "raging_calvinist

      • raging_calvinist <raging.calvinist@veriz
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
          James,

          Try right clicking on the file, and choosing "save as" and choose
          where you want to save it. Then double click it on your computer to
          listen to it.

          gmw.

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "James D
          <jamescovie@y...>" <jamescovie@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Is anyone able to get this to play? I am asking cuz I can not get
          it
          > to play. I was wondering if it is my computer or it is the file?
          > JD
          >

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "raging_calvinist
          > <raging.calvinist@v...>" <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
          > > Blind Willie Johnson's song, "Praise God, I'm Satisfied" has been
          > > uploaded to the files section so we can all sing the blues
          together.

          > > gmw.
        • Soles
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003

            Dear bro. Jer,

            Is the backup voice that of his wife Angelina?  I see that Willie passed on at my age...not yet fifty....I had to turn up the volume and listen really closely to the sound track, more than once to make out the words...it will probably be even harder for rest of the North folk to make it past that accent...reminds me of my Daddy's deep drawl. only with gravel in it....lol

            glad you're still breath'n

            ~cis~
          • James D <jamescovie@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
              Thanks Mr Waybright,
              I did a little looken and I found this information on blind Willie it
              is pretty interesting! Blind Willie Johnson 1902(?) - 1947(?)

              "Blind Willie" Johnson was born in Texas about 1902. Some reports say
              it was in Marlin, others say near Temple and the family then moved to
              Marlin. At age 5, Johnson announced to his father that he was going to
              become a preacher and fashioned his first guitar out of a cigar box.

              Johnson's father remarried following the death of young Johnson's
              mother. He caught Johnson's stepmother cheating and beat her her up.
              Her response was to throw lye into 7 year old Willie Johnson's face to
              deliberately blind him.

              Willie taught himself to play the guitar and accompanied himself using
              a pocketknife for a slide to mimic his voice. Johnson's father would
              take him into the town of Hearne and leave him to play on the corner
              every Saturday with a tin cup tied around his neck.

              At age twenty-five he married a young singer named Angelina, sister of
              blues guitarist L. C. "Good Rockin'" Robinson (1915-76). Angelina
              accompanied Johnson on some of his recordings for Columbia Records
              between 1927 and 1930.

              Although some blues singers tussled with the pull between the blues
              and religious music, Blind Willie came down firmly on the side of the
              religious -- in a way. He had the power to make a religious song sound
              like the blues and a blues song sound holy.

              He sang in a "rasping false bass," and played bottleneck guitar with
              "uncanny left-handed strength, accuracy and agility." So forceful was
              his voice that legend has it he was once arrested for inciting a riot
              simply by standing in front of the New Orleans Customs House singing
              "If I Had My Way I'd Tear This Building Down."

              Ry Cooder once called Johnson's "Dark Was The Night Cold Was the
              Ground" the most "transcendent piece in all American music."
              Additionally, his "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed" is another masterpiece
              of slide work.

              Ironically, Johnson died of pneumonia following a fire that burned
              down his home. He slept on wet bedding his wife had prepared for him,
              got sick and passed on to blues heaven.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 12, 2003
                Here's one of my favorite Blind Willie Johnson songs. It was covered
                by quite a few folks over the years, including Led Zeppelin and
                Kaiser/Mansfield (Glenn Kaiser from Rez and killer harmonica player
                Daryl Mansfield).

                Nobody's Fault But Mine
                (by Joseph 'Blind Willie' Johnson)

                Nobody's fault but mine
                It's nobody's fault but mine
                If I don't read my soul gets lost
                Nobody's fault but mine.

                Had a Bible in my hand
                Had a Bible in my arm
                If I don't read my soul gets lost
                Nobody's fault but mine.

                My mother taught me how to read
                My mother taught me how to read
                If I don't read my soul gets lost
                Nobody's fault but mine.

                ---
                n-n-n-n-n-nah nobody's fault BUT MINE.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2003
                  Nobody's Fault But Mine is now in the file section. Enjoy!

                  gmw.

                • Cathie-Iris: Soles <dsranch@yt.sympatico
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 13, 2003
                    --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Simon Padbury
                    <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                    > Dear all,
                    >
                    > Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches,
                    or
                    > websites?
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    >
                    > Simon Padbury

                    Hello Simon,

                    Greetings in our Lord to you and Ruth.

                    On what continent do you need the Reformed French/Francophone
                    churches to be?....I checked on the web there are a number of
                    churches in Quebec...a RPCNA...but I do not know if the are EP and of
                    course they would be dessenters<----not the best to send someone to.

                    The RPNA does have a member in Montreal that is meeting on his
                    own...I do not know if he is a Francophone...but I could find out.

                    So could you give a little more info on the why of your question.

                    In Christ,

                    ~Cathie~

                    getting colder again here -16c and windchill
                  • Soles
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2003
                      Man JD,

                      That story is even sadder than all the info I
                      found on Willie..

                      I guess we could say that Willie was a good
                      example of a believer making the most of what the
                      Lord left him with.

                      I think, the hardest thing would have been
                      getting past the bitterness of what  Willie had
                      been robbed of...the use of his eyes at seven.

                      My younger brother Dave went through a time of
                      great bitterness when he lost his right leg to a
                      hunter at 12 years old...but praise the Lord,
                      Dave was able to work through this...he says the
                      Lord corrected him...used this time to spank
                      him... JD, you could pray for my brother...he has
                      somethings worked out... remains a very loving
                      and giving man, a pastor even, but Dave is not a
                      Calvinist.

                      Sometimes it is so hard to understand how folks
                      can be so right about somethings but so wrong on
                      others...guess we have to chalk it up to: that
                      by the Lord's mercy only... do we get
                      anything correct.

                      In Christ,

                      ~cis~

                      To:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 14, 2003
                        In the US, there is only one Hugenot (i.e, French Reformed) church
                        with an active congregation. I don't know how orthodox they are to
                        the original Reformed Hugenot faith. However, I am sure there is a
                        Hugenot remnant scattered across America that professes the Reformed
                        Faith found in the French Confession but are "unchurched" as the
                        Charleston church is the only church in the US. I am Hugenot both
                        theologically and genealogically; however, I've yet to find fellow
                        Hugenots that meet for the Sunday Ordinance (other than the
                        Charleston congregation).

                        Here is a list of Hugenot websites (history, theology, genealogy,
                        etc.) I've found and bookmarked as I come across them in my
                        genealogical research:

                        The Charleston Hugenot church
                        http://www.frenchhuguenotchurch.org/

                        The Hugenot Society of SC
                        http://www.huguenotsociety.org/index.htm

                        The National Hugenot Society
                        http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/general/

                        http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/history/migration/linksreligiouswars.html
                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/surname/hug1.html
                        http://www.hightowertrail.com/Huguent.htm
                        http://www.ku.edu/heritage/cousin/huguenot.html
                        http://www.huguenot-manakin.org/
                        http://www.creeds.net/reformed/frconf.htm
                        http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/hugher.html
                        http://www.museum.co.za/huguenots.htm
                        http://www.kopower.com/~jimchstn/timeline.htm
                        http://www.hhs-newpaltz.net/index.html
                        http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/hist-hug.htm
                        http://www.cyndislist.com/huguenot.htm

                        <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                        > Dear all,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches,
                        or
                        > websites?
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        >
                        > Simon Padbury
                      • Simon Padbury
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                          Dear ~Cathie~

                          Doesn't matter where in the world, I'm just interested, for starters,
                          in French Reformed literature. I can speak a little French (i.e., I
                          would hesitate to say that I was fluent), and I can read French fairly
                          well. If I could get hold of some French Reformed literature I would
                          have more incentive to improve. I also have a Louis Segond (slightly
                          revised) French Bible, which I read -- the one that the Trinitarian
                          Bible Society produce, though they are currently trying to make a more
                          accurate one.

                          There are two reasons why I a interested in aquiring French Reformed
                          literature. One is that, following contact made during our pastor's
                          open-air preaching, sometimes we have African Francophone refugees
                          come to our church. We struggle to accommodate them, with myself in
                          the vanguard, but so far they move on after a few weeks, looking for a
                          'happy-clappy' church. They enjoy the fact that we have long sermons
                          (by todays standards; no-one falls asleep out of any windows!), but
                          they detest (or I should say, deteste) exclusive Psalmody. We'd be a
                          long way off producing our own tracts in French, so I'm on the prowl
                          for some. BTW, does anybody know where I could get a Genevan Psalter?
                          I'm serious!

                          Another reason is that, should the Lord grant me an arrow in my
                          quiver, or more, a vine or more around my table (you get the picture),
                          my wife and I hope to home-educate. It sould please my heart indeed to
                          have my little saplings reading Jean Cauvin en Francais!!!

                          Best regards,

                          Simon.
                        • Simon Padbury
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                            Dear Seamrog,

                            Thanks very muchly for the website list. I'll look into them.

                            Gold bless,

                            Simon.
                          • Thomas Britton <bander1643@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                              Hello Simon!

                              Three Volumes of Calvin's sermons en Francais ici
                              http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/

                              Happy-clappy? Oui!

                              Tom

                              <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                              > Dear ~Cathie~
                              >
                              > Doesn't matter where in the world, I'm just interested, for starters,
                              > in French Reformed literature. I can speak a little French (i.e., I
                              > would hesitate to say that I was fluent), and I can read French fairly
                              > well. If I could get hold of some French Reformed literature I would
                              > have more incentive to improve. I also have a Louis Segond (slightly
                              > revised) French Bible, which I read -- the one that the Trinitarian
                              > Bible Society produce, though they are currently trying to make a more
                              > accurate one.
                              >
                              > There are two reasons why I a interested in aquiring French Reformed
                              > literature. One is that, following contact made during our pastor's
                              > open-air preaching, sometimes we have African Francophone refugees
                              > come to our church. We struggle to accommodate them, with myself in
                              > the vanguard, but so far they move on after a few weeks, looking for a
                              > 'happy-clappy' church. They enjoy the fact that we have long sermons
                              > (by todays standards; no-one falls asleep out of any windows!), but
                              > they detest (or I should say, deteste) exclusive Psalmody. We'd be a
                              > long way off producing our own tracts in French, so I'm on the prowl
                              > for some. BTW, does anybody know where I could get a Genevan Psalter?
                              > I'm serious!
                              >
                              > Another reason is that, should the Lord grant me an arrow in my
                              > quiver, or more, a vine or more around my table (you get the picture),
                              > my wife and I hope to home-educate. It sould please my heart indeed to
                              > have my little saplings reading Jean Cauvin en Francais!!!
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              >
                              > Simon.
                            • Simon Padbury
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                                Dear Tom,

                                Merci. C'est terrible! ;-)

                                Simon.

                                -------------------
                                > Hello Simon!
                                >
                                > Three Volumes of Calvin's sermons en Francais ici
                                > http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/
                                >
                                > Happy-clappy? Oui!
                                >
                                > Tom
                              • Simon Padbury
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                                  I also found this,

                                  http://www.museedudesert.com/index.htm

                                  Look at the photos, even if you can't understand the words. You would
                                  think the Hugenos were Presbyterians, even Covenanters. With an
                                  open-air portable pulpit, communions among the hills and forests, and
                                  metrical psalters too!