Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Blind Willie music

  • Gary Gearon
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
      Message
      Only physically... :-)
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: deejay
      Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 9:25 AM
      Subject: RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Blind Willie music

      Okay,

      I haen't followed this thread all the way through.  But saw "Blind Willie" and last nite "blind" someone else.   Are these guys really blind??

      ~Deejay
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
        Dear all,

        Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches, or
        websites?

        Best regards,

        Simon Padbury
      • James D <jamescovie@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
          Hi,
          Is anyone able to get this to play? I am asking cuz I can not get it
          to play. I was wondering if it is my computer or it is the file?
          JD

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "raging_calvinist

        • raging_calvinist <raging.calvinist@veriz
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
            James,

            Try right clicking on the file, and choosing "save as" and choose
            where you want to save it. Then double click it on your computer to
            listen to it.

            gmw.

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "James D
            <jamescovie@y...>" <jamescovie@y...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > Is anyone able to get this to play? I am asking cuz I can not get
            it
            > to play. I was wondering if it is my computer or it is the file?
            > JD
            >

            > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "raging_calvinist
            > <raging.calvinist@v...>" <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:
            > > Blind Willie Johnson's song, "Praise God, I'm Satisfied" has been
            > > uploaded to the files section so we can all sing the blues
            together.

            > > gmw.
          • Soles
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003

              Dear bro. Jer,

              Is the backup voice that of his wife Angelina?  I see that Willie passed on at my age...not yet fifty....I had to turn up the volume and listen really closely to the sound track, more than once to make out the words...it will probably be even harder for rest of the North folk to make it past that accent...reminds me of my Daddy's deep drawl. only with gravel in it....lol

              glad you're still breath'n

              ~cis~
            • James D <jamescovie@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2003
                Thanks Mr Waybright,
                I did a little looken and I found this information on blind Willie it
                is pretty interesting! Blind Willie Johnson 1902(?) - 1947(?)

                "Blind Willie" Johnson was born in Texas about 1902. Some reports say
                it was in Marlin, others say near Temple and the family then moved to
                Marlin. At age 5, Johnson announced to his father that he was going to
                become a preacher and fashioned his first guitar out of a cigar box.

                Johnson's father remarried following the death of young Johnson's
                mother. He caught Johnson's stepmother cheating and beat her her up.
                Her response was to throw lye into 7 year old Willie Johnson's face to
                deliberately blind him.

                Willie taught himself to play the guitar and accompanied himself using
                a pocketknife for a slide to mimic his voice. Johnson's father would
                take him into the town of Hearne and leave him to play on the corner
                every Saturday with a tin cup tied around his neck.

                At age twenty-five he married a young singer named Angelina, sister of
                blues guitarist L. C. "Good Rockin'" Robinson (1915-76). Angelina
                accompanied Johnson on some of his recordings for Columbia Records
                between 1927 and 1930.

                Although some blues singers tussled with the pull between the blues
                and religious music, Blind Willie came down firmly on the side of the
                religious -- in a way. He had the power to make a religious song sound
                like the blues and a blues song sound holy.

                He sang in a "rasping false bass," and played bottleneck guitar with
                "uncanny left-handed strength, accuracy and agility." So forceful was
                his voice that legend has it he was once arrested for inciting a riot
                simply by standing in front of the New Orleans Customs House singing
                "If I Had My Way I'd Tear This Building Down."

                Ry Cooder once called Johnson's "Dark Was The Night Cold Was the
                Ground" the most "transcendent piece in all American music."
                Additionally, his "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed" is another masterpiece
                of slide work.

                Ironically, Johnson died of pneumonia following a fire that burned
                down his home. He slept on wet bedding his wife had prepared for him,
                got sick and passed on to blues heaven.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2003
                  Here's one of my favorite Blind Willie Johnson songs. It was covered
                  by quite a few folks over the years, including Led Zeppelin and
                  Kaiser/Mansfield (Glenn Kaiser from Rez and killer harmonica player
                  Daryl Mansfield).

                  Nobody's Fault But Mine
                  (by Joseph 'Blind Willie' Johnson)

                  Nobody's fault but mine
                  It's nobody's fault but mine
                  If I don't read my soul gets lost
                  Nobody's fault but mine.

                  Had a Bible in my hand
                  Had a Bible in my arm
                  If I don't read my soul gets lost
                  Nobody's fault but mine.

                  My mother taught me how to read
                  My mother taught me how to read
                  If I don't read my soul gets lost
                  Nobody's fault but mine.

                  ---
                  n-n-n-n-n-nah nobody's fault BUT MINE.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2003
                    Nobody's Fault But Mine is now in the file section. Enjoy!

                    gmw.

                  • Cathie-Iris: Soles <dsranch@yt.sympatico
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2003
                      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Simon Padbury
                      <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                      > Dear all,
                      >
                      > Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches,
                      or
                      > websites?
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      >
                      > Simon Padbury

                      Hello Simon,

                      Greetings in our Lord to you and Ruth.

                      On what continent do you need the Reformed French/Francophone
                      churches to be?....I checked on the web there are a number of
                      churches in Quebec...a RPCNA...but I do not know if the are EP and of
                      course they would be dessenters<----not the best to send someone to.

                      The RPNA does have a member in Montreal that is meeting on his
                      own...I do not know if he is a Francophone...but I could find out.

                      So could you give a little more info on the why of your question.

                      In Christ,

                      ~Cathie~

                      getting colder again here -16c and windchill
                    • Soles
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 13, 2003
                        Man JD,

                        That story is even sadder than all the info I
                        found on Willie..

                        I guess we could say that Willie was a good
                        example of a believer making the most of what the
                        Lord left him with.

                        I think, the hardest thing would have been
                        getting past the bitterness of what  Willie had
                        been robbed of...the use of his eyes at seven.

                        My younger brother Dave went through a time of
                        great bitterness when he lost his right leg to a
                        hunter at 12 years old...but praise the Lord,
                        Dave was able to work through this...he says the
                        Lord corrected him...used this time to spank
                        him... JD, you could pray for my brother...he has
                        somethings worked out... remains a very loving
                        and giving man, a pastor even, but Dave is not a
                        Calvinist.

                        Sometimes it is so hard to understand how folks
                        can be so right about somethings but so wrong on
                        others...guess we have to chalk it up to: that
                        by the Lord's mercy only... do we get
                        anything correct.

                        In Christ,

                        ~cis~

                        To:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 14, 2003
                          In the US, there is only one Hugenot (i.e, French Reformed) church
                          with an active congregation. I don't know how orthodox they are to
                          the original Reformed Hugenot faith. However, I am sure there is a
                          Hugenot remnant scattered across America that professes the Reformed
                          Faith found in the French Confession but are "unchurched" as the
                          Charleston church is the only church in the US. I am Hugenot both
                          theologically and genealogically; however, I've yet to find fellow
                          Hugenots that meet for the Sunday Ordinance (other than the
                          Charleston congregation).

                          Here is a list of Hugenot websites (history, theology, genealogy,
                          etc.) I've found and bookmarked as I come across them in my
                          genealogical research:

                          The Charleston Hugenot church
                          http://www.frenchhuguenotchurch.org/

                          The Hugenot Society of SC
                          http://www.huguenotsociety.org/index.htm

                          The National Hugenot Society
                          http://www.huguenot.netnation.com/general/

                          http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/history/migration/linksreligiouswars.html
                          http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/surname/hug1.html
                          http://www.hightowertrail.com/Huguent.htm
                          http://www.ku.edu/heritage/cousin/huguenot.html
                          http://www.huguenot-manakin.org/
                          http://www.creeds.net/reformed/frconf.htm
                          http://www.ensignmessage.com/archives/hugher.html
                          http://www.museum.co.za/huguenots.htm
                          http://www.kopower.com/~jimchstn/timeline.htm
                          http://www.hhs-newpaltz.net/index.html
                          http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/hist-hug.htm
                          http://www.cyndislist.com/huguenot.htm

                          <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                          > Dear all,
                          >
                          > Does anyone know of any good Reformed French/Francophone churches,
                          or
                          > websites?
                          >
                          > Best regards,
                          >
                          > Simon Padbury
                        • Simon Padbury
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                            Dear ~Cathie~

                            Doesn't matter where in the world, I'm just interested, for starters,
                            in French Reformed literature. I can speak a little French (i.e., I
                            would hesitate to say that I was fluent), and I can read French fairly
                            well. If I could get hold of some French Reformed literature I would
                            have more incentive to improve. I also have a Louis Segond (slightly
                            revised) French Bible, which I read -- the one that the Trinitarian
                            Bible Society produce, though they are currently trying to make a more
                            accurate one.

                            There are two reasons why I a interested in aquiring French Reformed
                            literature. One is that, following contact made during our pastor's
                            open-air preaching, sometimes we have African Francophone refugees
                            come to our church. We struggle to accommodate them, with myself in
                            the vanguard, but so far they move on after a few weeks, looking for a
                            'happy-clappy' church. They enjoy the fact that we have long sermons
                            (by todays standards; no-one falls asleep out of any windows!), but
                            they detest (or I should say, deteste) exclusive Psalmody. We'd be a
                            long way off producing our own tracts in French, so I'm on the prowl
                            for some. BTW, does anybody know where I could get a Genevan Psalter?
                            I'm serious!

                            Another reason is that, should the Lord grant me an arrow in my
                            quiver, or more, a vine or more around my table (you get the picture),
                            my wife and I hope to home-educate. It sould please my heart indeed to
                            have my little saplings reading Jean Cauvin en Francais!!!

                            Best regards,

                            Simon.
                          • Simon Padbury
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                              Dear Seamrog,

                              Thanks very muchly for the website list. I'll look into them.

                              Gold bless,

                              Simon.
                            • Thomas Britton <bander1643@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                                Hello Simon!

                                Three Volumes of Calvin's sermons en Francais ici
                                http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/

                                Happy-clappy? Oui!

                                Tom

                                <s.p.e.padbury@d...> wrote:
                                > Dear ~Cathie~
                                >
                                > Doesn't matter where in the world, I'm just interested, for starters,
                                > in French Reformed literature. I can speak a little French (i.e., I
                                > would hesitate to say that I was fluent), and I can read French fairly
                                > well. If I could get hold of some French Reformed literature I would
                                > have more incentive to improve. I also have a Louis Segond (slightly
                                > revised) French Bible, which I read -- the one that the Trinitarian
                                > Bible Society produce, though they are currently trying to make a more
                                > accurate one.
                                >
                                > There are two reasons why I a interested in aquiring French Reformed
                                > literature. One is that, following contact made during our pastor's
                                > open-air preaching, sometimes we have African Francophone refugees
                                > come to our church. We struggle to accommodate them, with myself in
                                > the vanguard, but so far they move on after a few weeks, looking for a
                                > 'happy-clappy' church. They enjoy the fact that we have long sermons
                                > (by todays standards; no-one falls asleep out of any windows!), but
                                > they detest (or I should say, deteste) exclusive Psalmody. We'd be a
                                > long way off producing our own tracts in French, so I'm on the prowl
                                > for some. BTW, does anybody know where I could get a Genevan Psalter?
                                > I'm serious!
                                >
                                > Another reason is that, should the Lord grant me an arrow in my
                                > quiver, or more, a vine or more around my table (you get the picture),
                                > my wife and I hope to home-educate. It sould please my heart indeed to
                                > have my little saplings reading Jean Cauvin en Francais!!!
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                >
                                > Simon.
                              • Simon Padbury
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                                  Dear Tom,

                                  Merci. C'est terrible! ;-)

                                  Simon.

                                  -------------------
                                  > Hello Simon!
                                  >
                                  > Three Volumes of Calvin's sermons en Francais ici
                                  > http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/
                                  >
                                  > Happy-clappy? Oui!
                                  >
                                  > Tom
                                • Simon Padbury
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 17, 2003
                                    I also found this,

                                    http://www.museedudesert.com/index.htm

                                    Look at the photos, even if you can't understand the words. You would
                                    think the Hugenos were Presbyterians, even Covenanters. With an
                                    open-air portable pulpit, communions among the hills and forests, and
                                    metrical psalters too!