Hate amongst Christians

  • Deejay
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2003
      Message

      Well, we all know there are diversity among Christitians, Thank the Lord nothing in real life like goes on like  online.  But how can Christians's going on Scriptural texts justify hating other Christians?

      It seems to me that even if some sin has occurred on one or other parties side, the verse about planks  in eyes comes to mind.  Also found this which would seem to talk of diversity and unity:

      CHRISTIAN LIFE AND DOCTRINE

      Unity and Diversity
      UNITY AND DIVERSITY EXIST in the church of God. The two words express widely different thoughts.

      1.) Oneness (or unity) in the church is called to our attention in the Psalms, "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity."—Ps. 133:1

      2.) Diversity approved likewise exists in the church, as mentioned by the Apostle Paul: "Now there are diversities of gifts."—I Cor. 12:4

      GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT

      The Apostle Paul, in commenting on this diversity, says: "Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness."—Rom. 12:6-8, Revised Standard Version

      From this passage it is clear that diversity in the church is not related to the doctrines of the truth, nor the spirit of love in which those doctrines are held; but rather to the activities of the brethren. The maintenance of a unity of spirit and purpose where these diversities exist may in some instances be difficult. Paul realized this, so he exhorts us to manifest love in our cooperation with the brethren. We quote:

      "Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with brotherly affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Never flag in zeal, be aglow with the Spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in your hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality.

      "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, never be conceited. Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends upon you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God; for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the LORD.' No, 'if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."—Rom. 12:9-21, RSV

      ONENESS

      The great importance of unity or oneness is also stressed by the Apostle Paul. He says, "Walk worthily of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and gentleness; with patience, sustaining each other in love; using diligence to preserve the unity of the Spirit by the uniting bond of peace; there being one body and one Spirit, as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one immersion; one God and Father of all, he who is over all, and through all, and in all."—Eph. 4:1-6, Wilson's Emphatic Diaglott

      The 'body' illustration of the manner in which the various members of the church are related to one another, as Paul uses it later in this chapter and in I Corinthians 12:12-27, reveals clearly both the unity and the diversity which exist among the LORD's people. In this illustration Jesus is the Head. The head is the controlling power in the human body, and all the members of the body serve one another in obedience to the head. So it is with Jesus and the church, which is his body.

      Our identification and oneness with Christ should be our constant meditation. We should endeavor to yield ourselves in humble obedience to him, allowing his mind to control us. We should hold firmly to our Head, as Paul admonishes, "from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God."—Col. 2:19

      What a close and blessed relationship! This unity with Christ means that his love "constraineth us." (II Cor. 5:14) The Greek word for 'constrain'—sunecho—means 'holds us together.' There should be no schism or division in the body of Christ, and will not be when the members have a proper and loving care one for another. Paul wrote: "For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."—Rom. 12:4,5, RSV

      True unity can exist in the body of Christ only in proportion to the degree of Christlikeness controlling each of its members. In Colossians 3:16, Paul admonishes us to let the word of Christ—his commands—dwell in us richly in all wisdom. We are also to note well the example of his life—his loving, compassionate heart, his humility, gentleness, patience, faithfulness, and his self-sacrificing spirit. We should note especially the loving zeal with which he always sought to know and do his Father's will—"I delight to do thy will, O my God."—Ps. 40:8

      As with Jesus, so with his consecrated followers—the full testimony of God revealed by the Holy Spirit through the Word guides and instructs. To the extent that all are heeding these instructions there is sure to be unity, both of faith and of practice. The Scriptures clearly teach that the present mission of the church is the perfecting of the saints for the future work of service; to develop in herself every grace; to be God's witnesses in the world; and to prepare to be kings and priests in the next age.