Prone to hate

  • Jerry <raging.calvinist@verizon.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2003
      To ponder:

      Heidelberg Catechism Question 4. What does the law of God require of
      us?

      Answer: Christ teaches us that briefly, Matt. 22:37-40, "Thou shalt
      love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with
      all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first and the
      great commandment; and the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love
      thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law
      and the prophets." (a)

      (a) Deut.6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine
      heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Lev.19:18 Thou
      shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy
      people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.
      Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,
      and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy
      strength: this is the first commandment. Luke 10:27 And he answering
      said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with
      all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and
      thy neighbour as thyself.

      Question 5. Canst thou keep all these things perfectly?

      Answer: In no wise; (a) for I am prone by nature to hate God and my
      neighbour.(b)

      (a) Rom.3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
      Rom.3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be
      justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
      Rom.3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 1
      John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the
      truth is not in us. 1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we
      make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (b) Rom.8:7 Because the
      carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law
      of God, neither indeed can be. Eph.2:3 Among whom also we all had our
      conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the
      desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children
      of wrath, even as others. Tit.3:3 For we ourselves also were
      sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and
      pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one
      another. Gen.6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in
      the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart
      was only evil continually. Gen.8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet
      savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the
      ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is
      evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing
      living, as I have done. Jer.17:9 The heart is deceitful above all
      things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Rom.7:23 But I see
      another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and
      bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

      ---

      Prone to hate my God and my neighbor,