Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Breast feeding in church

  • andrew clements
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
      Dear Susan and other sisters in Christ,

      you have missed the point altogether! Of course we feed
      our babies when they require nursing but it should be done with discretion
      and modesty. Sure, it is our obligation to our feed our hungry babies,
      however, we, as women, should apply some common sense when fulfilling our
      roles as nursing Mums. By all means listen to the sermon, but do it in the
      nursery where mothers can better carry out the task in privacy. We can meet
      our motherly obligations without distracting or offending others.

      Church is a place where we come to give God the glory, in
      reverential fear and humility. It isn't a place where we come to assert our
      "rights". Apart from the modesty issue , breadfeeding in church may be
      compared to distributing sandwiches to our hungry children in the middle of
      church service. That, of course, would be highly inappropriate. A century
      ago all of these issues were never considered a problem, because women knew
      their place. Christian women generally feared God in the sense that they
      were willing to serve rather than impose their "rights". The attitude today
      that breast feeding in church is a woman's right is direct result of
      feminism and the twentieth century humanism has encouraged that lie. We
      women are here to serve and not to assert our "rights". Asserting "rights"
      in this sense is always to the detriment of a man's ability to lead. We
      covenanted women ought to be very, very wary of such humanistic attitudes.
      First it was the "right" to vote, then the "right" to have a career, the
      "right" to wear pants, the "right" to dress immodestly (similar to the above
      problem), the "right" to plan the number of children she wants to have, the
      "right" to abort, the "right' to attend church uncovered (Paul's "judge in
      yourselves" question is obviously, given the context, rhetorical. Of course
      we agree with the apostle that women ought to be covered (during the worship
      service) since nature (not culture) itself teaches us that. Hence the
      "introduction" 1Cor 11:3-12 and the "conclusion" 1Cor 11:14-16), the "right"
      to breastfeed in public and now even, may God have mercy on our souls, the
      "right" to breastfeed during the church service.

      Dear sister, let us use our "freedom" to edify and to
      serve rather than to assert what God-hating humanists would have us to
      believe are our rights.

      Yours, in Christ,

      Mrs. Maria Clements.