It ought not to be so!!!!
- For Gary Gearon,This was previously posted to covenanters in the summer so is being pasted.Gary it fits your statements on it being natural in some countries for women to be bare above the waist...It ought not be so!!!!! even when feeding the baby... asked Grant here if he ever got a glimpse of me during the years that I nursed our five girls, staying in the worship service...sitting beside him...Grant's response was no, you always pinned the blanket at the top of your shoulder first.....Gary you have left me with the impression that it is far worse for a woman to not have her hair covered than her breast...please tell me I'm wrong.....if I had a book with a picture as you described of covenanters with the woman feeding her child in my home, Jody would have taken and cut out some black tape and fashioned some kind of cover for the woman's nakedness...Jody did that with our World Books... lol~cis~pasted:Here is Grant's response:
Biblical 4 rule dress code: suggested by Grant A. Soles
1. cover up Gen.3.. fig leaves aren't enough
2. keep your body parts in Deut. Tie up the laces
3. no cross-dressing between sexes. Could this extend to men not dressing in
same type of clothes....
4. dress in keeping within the bounds of present culture eg. No burkqa in
NAmer. and probably not
the east either, if it is a muslim symbol. Cause no offense. Especially
These are the general rules. They must be interpreted. The basic rule of
interprtation for these rules is
conservative judgement. There should be no running as close to the edge of
any of the 4 general rules
eg. Don't buy a tee shirt which exposes your navel. Don't put a ring in
there to show off anyway.The more that people leave behind their Biblical underpinnings, the more
they feel free to take off their
clothes. They regard themselves as innocent and dress accordingly. They
don't understand themselves to
be under wrath. On the other hand Christians, seeing the realities of the
unseen, cloth themselves as
instructed eg. Col. 3 and corresponding dress physically according to the
It is no real offense to anyone so dress this way.
Semi naked Mass in New Guinea? First off, if in a culture like that in
Papua, many of the indigenous native women go topless as part of their daily
life. Many still live in straw huts. People hunt for food with bows and
arrows. All go barefooted. (You have seen similar pictures in National
Geographic?) To criticize the Pope for not forcing every participant to
dress up in western attire that meets our criteria is ridiculous. It shows
the ignorance of those criticizing about what New Guinea is like.
Just for a point of reference, here are a couple Protestant New Guinea
missionaries' pages so that you can get a feel of what the culture is like