Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Law of Nature

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 96 , Jan 1, 2003
      Dear Frederick,

      I think the reason one hears non christian men and women make disparaging remarks about women who breastfeed in public is because our culture has so perverted the natural function of breasts so that they are seen to be more a play thing for men than a source of comfort and nourishment for babies.  I would be very surprised to hear that they are complaining against Christian women only who breastfeed in public.  They are not making disparaging remarks against the Church per se, but against breastfeeding itself.  The pressure on women in this regard is such that close to 90% of women who start out breastfeeding are no longer doing so by the time their babies are 3 months old.  Thus their little ones are deprived of the means that God designed for their feeding.  Compare this to the rest of the world where breastfeeding usually lasts for up to 3 years and sometimes more.  I see this as  part of the whole anti-baby mentality that our culture has.  The current model of beauty is almost androgenous in her lack of curves, and the ripeness of a pregnant body is disdained or only tolerated in limited fashion.  Childbearing and all the functions that go with it and sustaining the baby are the real offense to most non Christians, and sadly, even among those that name the Name.

      By God's grace I have borne 11 children over the last 22 years and nursed them all.  Initially it was sheer determination that kept me at it with  my first baby in the face of disgust from my mother's generation who all bottlefed because breastfeeding was "disgusting" and bottle feeding didn't "hurt" us.   That only lasted for 6 months before my daughter was on a bottle.  All my subsequent children have nursed from 7 to 24 months with the average being about 15 months.  Over the course of my years as a mother I have been in various situations church-wise from places that didn't want children in the worship service to those that actively encouraged it.  Not every situation has been such that they had a cry room where moms could feed babies and still hear the service.

      You know what I think is  the most lovely?  The churches where each child is received as a blessing from God and no one makes stupid comments like, "Don't you know what is causing that?"  These are also the churches where breastfeeding is taken for granted and no one makes a flap over it.

      This is not advocacy for women "baring all" while they breastfeed.  The very fact that we live in a culture that views breasts as being primarily sexual play toys means that women need to use discretion and usually a blanket or a large shirt accomplishes that feat. But I sometimes wonder when I read opinions that wish to send the mothers and babies out of the worship of God that perhaps we have imbibed more of the surrounding culture than we realized.

      Yours and His,
      Cheryl
      Message 96 of 96 , Dec 28, 2002
        Well said, Susan. You really ought to write a book.

        :-)

        GG