"Real Faith" for Orphans by George Mueller

  • Gary Gearon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Real Faith
      by George Mueller
      (Founder of the Orphanages at Bristol, England)

      TEXT: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things
      not seen. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the
      Word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do
      appear" (Hebrews 11:1).
      FIRST: WHAT IS FAITH? In the simplest manner in which I am able to express
      it, I answer: Faith is the assurance that the thing which God has said in
      His Word is true, and that God will act according to what He has said in His
      Word. This assurance, this reliance on God's Word, this confidence is FAITH.

      NO IMPRESSIONS ARE TO BE TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH FAITH. Impressions have
      neither one thing nor the other to do with faith. Faith has to do with the
      Word of God. It is not impressions, strong or weak, which will make any
      difference. We have to do with the written Word and not ourselves or our
      impressions.

      PROBABILITIES ARE NOT TO BE TAIKEN INTO ACCOUNT. Many people are willing
      to believe regarding those things that seem probable to them. Faith has
      nothing to do with probabilities. The province of FAITH begins where
      probabilities cease and sight and sense fail. A great many of God's children
      are cast down and lament their want of Faith. They write to me and say that
      they have no impressions, no feeling, they see no probability that the thing
      they wish will come to pass. APPEARANCES ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.
      The question is - whether God has spoken it in His Word.

      And now, beloved Christian friends, you are in great need to ask
      yourselves whether you are in the habit of thus confiding, in your inmost
      soul, in what God has said, and whether you are in earnest in seeking to
      find whether the thing you want is in accordance with what He has said in
      His Word.

      SECOND: HOW FAITH MAY BE INCREASED. God delights to increase the Faith of
      His children. Our Faith which is feeble at first, is developed and
      strengthened more and more by us. We ought, instead of wanting no trials
      before victory, no exercise for patience, to be willing to take them from
      God's hand as a means. I say - and say it deliberately - trials, obstacles,
      difficulties, and sometimes defeats, are the very food of Faith. I get
      letters from so many of God's dear children who say: "Dear Brother Mueller,
      I'm writing this because I am so weak in faith." Just so surely as we ask to
      have our Faith strengthened, we must feel a willingness to take from God's
      hand the means for strengthening it. We must allow Him to educate us through
      trials and bereavements and troubles. It is through trials that Faith is
      exercised and developed more and more. God affectionately permits
      difficulties, that He may develop unceasingly that which He is willing to do
      for us, and to this end we should not shrink, but if He gives us sorrow and
      hindrances and losses and afflictions, we should take them out of His hands
      as evidences of His love and care for us in developing more and more that
      Faith which He is seeking to strengthen in us.

      The Church of God is not aroused to see God as the beautiful and lovable
      One He is, and hence the littleness of blessedness. Oh, beloved brothers and
      sisters in Christ, seek to learn for yourselves, for I cannot tell you the
      blessedness! In the darkest moments I am able to confide in Him, for I know
      what a beautiful and kind and lovable Being He is, and, if it be the will of
      God to put us in the furnace, let Him do it, that so we may acquaint
      ourselves with Him as He will reveal Himself, and that we may know Him
      better. We come then to the conclusion that God is a lovable Being, and we
      are satisfied with Him, and say: "It is my Father, let Him do as He
      pleases."

      When I first began to allow God to deal with me, relying on Him, taking
      Him at His Word, and set out fifty years ago simply relying on Him for
      myself, family, taxes, travelling expenses and every other need, I rested on
      the simple promises I found in the sixth chapter of Matthew. Read Matthew
      6:25-34 carefully. I believed the Word, I rested on it and practiced it. I
      took God at His word. A stranger, a foreigner in England, I knew seven
      languages and might have used them perhaps as a means of remunerative
      employment but I had consecrated myself to labor for the Lord, I put my
      reliance in the God who has promised, and He has acted according to His
      Word. I've lacked nothing - nothing. I have had my trials, my difficulties,
      and my purse empty, but my receipts have aggregated thousands of dollars,
      while the work has gone on these 51 years. Then, with regard to my pastoral
      work; for the past 51 years I have had great difficulties, great trials and
      perplexities. There will always be difficulties, always trials. But God has
      sustained me under them and delivered nw out ofthem, and the work has gone
      on. Now, this is not, as some have said, because I am a man of great mental
      power, or endowed with energy and perseverance - these are not the reasons.
      It is because I have confided in God; because I have sought God, and He has
      cared for the Institution, which, under His direction, has 100 schools, with
      masters and mistresses and other departments which I have told you before.

      I do not carry the burden. And now in my 67th year, I have physical
      strength and mental vigor for as much work as when I was a young man in the
      university, studying and preparing Latin orations. I am just as vigorous as
      at that time. How comes this? Because in the last half century of labor I've
      been able, with the simplicity of a child, to rely upon God. I have had my
      trials, but I have laid hold upon God, and so it has come to pass that I
      have been sustained. It is not only permission, but positive command that He
      gives, to cast the burdens upon Him. Oh, let us do it! My beloved brothers
      and sisters in Christ, "Cast thy burden upon the Lord and He shall sustain
      thee." Day by day I do it. This morning sixty matters in connection with the
      church of which I am pastor, I brought before the Lord, and thus it is, day
      by day I do it, and year by year; ten years, thirty years, forty years.

      Do not, however, expect to obtain full Faith at once. All such things as
      jumping into full exercise of Faith in such things I discountenance. I do
      not believe in it. I do not believe in it. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN IT, AND I
      WISH YOU PLAINLY TO UNDERSTAND I DO NOT BELIEVE IN IT. All such things go on
      in a natural way. The little I did obtain, I did not obtain all at once. All
      this I say particularly, because letters come to me full of questions from
      those who seek to have their Faith strengthened. Begin over again, staying
      your soul on the Word of God, and you will have an increase of your Faith as
      you exercise it.

      One thing more. Some say, "Oh, I shall never have the gift of Faith Mr.
      Mueller has got." This is a mistake - it is the greatest error - there is
      not a particle of truth in it. My Faith is the same kind of Faith that all
      of God's children have had. It is the same kind that Simon Peter had, and
      all Christians may obtain the like Faith. My Faith is their Faith, though
      there may be more of it because my Faith has been a little more developed by
      exercise then theirs; but their Faith is precisely the Faith I exercise,
      only, with regard to degree, mine may be more strongly exercised.

      Now, my beloved brothers and sisters, begin in a little way.

      At first I was able to trust the Lord for ten dollars, then for a hundred
      dollars, then for a thousand dollars, and now, with the greatest ease, I
      could trust Him for a million dollars, if there was occasion. But first, I
      should quietly, carefully, deliberately examine and see whether what I was
      trusting for, was something in accordance with His promises in His written
      Word.

      "As laborers together with Him" (2 Corinthians 6:1).