If it's not Scottish... v.1, #6

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2001
      More Scottish Reformed thought on the Civil
      Magistrate.<br><br>"And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard,
      and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his
      mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him
      his power, and his seat, and great authority"
      (Revelation 13:2).<br><br>"For though tyrannies and unjust
      exercise of power, as they are full of disorder, are not
      an ordained government; yet the right of government
      is ordained by God for the wellbeing of mankind." --
      John Calvin on Romans 13:1.<br><br>Herein is the rub:
      Government itself is an ordinance of God which all men,
      especially Christians, are to obey and respect. And yet not
      all authorities can be properly understood as "the
      ordinance of God...The minister of God for thee for
      good...a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth
      evil." (See last post in this series for more on this)
      responsible to do when they are subjected to an unlawful
      usurper or tyrant?<br><br>The Christian has
      responsibility in such a case to God, as well as to the unlawful
      rulers. In this post, we will look at the Christian�s
      responsibility to God. In a subsequent post, we will look at the
      Christian�s responsibility towards the unlawful
      rulers.<br><br>These duties towards God are taken from "The mystery of
      magistracy Unvailed" (this anonymous work has been
      attributed to George Gillespie, Scottish delegate to the
      Westminster Assembly). The author wrote out all of the proof
      texts, which makes for convenient reading, but takes up
      far too much space for a post like this. For the sake
      of space, I merely list his proof texts for the
      reader to look up on his own:<br><br>1. To be sensible
      of God�s hand, that thereby is in judgment lift up
      against them for sin. Lev. 26:17; Judg. 2:14; Deut.
      28:47,48; 2 Kings 17:19; Isa. 10:5; Isa. 42:24; Prov. 28:2;
      Psal. 106:41,42,43; 2 Chron. 12:7,8.<br> <br>2. To
      accept of the punishment, and be humbled under God�s
      mighty hand. Lev. 26:40,41; Mic. 7:9; 1 Pet. 5:6.<br>
      Kings 8:46,47,48; Jer. 18:9,10; Dan. 9:5,6,7,8,9.
      Exod. 2:23,24,25. Exod. 3:7,8; Judg. 2:18; Judg. 3:9;
      Psalm 72:12; Psalm 87:11; Deut. 4:27,28,29,30; See
      Psalm 12:5.<br> <br>5. To groan more earnestly for the
      righteous rule and dominion of Jesus Christ, who shall
      therefore be the "desire of nations;" who will judge the
      people righteously, and break in pieces the oppressor,
      in whose days the righteous shall flourish, Rev.
      6:9,10,11; Psal. 72; Hag. 2:6,7; Rom. 8:19,22,23.
      tyrants!<br><br>gmw.