Re: Luther on

  • scots_grey
    Message 1 of 734 , Sep 17, 2001
      Islam. The Sunnis (who compose about 90% of all Muslims)
      draw their name from the fact that they look both to
      the Koran and to the "sunna" in establishing proper
      Muslim conduct. The "sunna" is the behavior or example
      of Muhammed and of the early Muslim community. Of
      course, there are many sub-divisions among the Sunnis,
      but they all identify themselves as Sunni.
      (who compose about 10% of all Muslims and reside
      mainly in Iraq and Iran). The word Shi'ite means
      "partisan," and refers to the fact that Shi'ites are
      "partisans of Ali." Ali was the son-in-law and cousin of
      Muhammed and one of the early Caliphs or successors to
      Muhammed as leader of the Muslim people. Shi'ites believe
      that the leader of Islam should be among the
      descendants of Ali, whom they believe possess a special
      divine anointing for this task. The last of these
      divinely appointed leaders, or "imams" most Shi'ites
      believe to be in "hiding" in another realm of existence.
      The Ayatollah Khomeini was believed to have been a
      spokesman for this "hidden imam." <br><br>A third group
      that should be mentioned are the Sufis. These Muslims
      (among both Sunni and Shia) seek a mystical experience
      of God, rather than a merely intellectual knowledge
      of Him, and who also are given to a number of
      superstitious practices. <br><br>In addition to these divisions
      within Islam, I should mention the attitudes among
      Muslims toward their contact with the Western world in
      modern times. There seem to be two broad trends although
      it is far more complicated that can be dealt with in
      a post.<br><br>One trend is toward some degree of
      accommodation and adjustment to the West and to modern ways of
      life. This has manifested itself most obviously in
      countries like Turkey, which have instituted largely
      secular forms of government and Western ways of life,
      while maintaining Islamic religious
      practices.<br><br>The opposite trend is toward a return to a more
      traditional approach to Islamic life and a rejection of
      Western and modern ways. The most extreme expression of
      this trend is manifest in the various forms of Islamic
      fundamentalism, which insist on the implementation of Muslim law
      (called the Sharia) in every area of life.
      Fundamentalists have been most successful in Saudi Arabia, Iran,
      Pakistan, and Sudan; but they are active in virtually every
      Muslim country, at times resorting to violence and
      terrorism in attempting to implement their agenda.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.