Re: Solemn League and Covenant (3)

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , May 21, 2001
      SL&C continued:<br><br>"VI. We shall also,
      according to our places and callings, in this common cause
      of religion, liberty, and peace of the kingdoms,
      assist and defend all those that enter into this League
      and Covenant, in the maintaining and pursuing
      thereof; and shall not suffer ourselves, directly or
      indirectly, by whatsoever combination, persuasion, or terror,
      to be divided or withdrawn from this blessed union
      and conjunction, whether to make defection to the
      contrary part, or to give ourselves to a detestable
      indifferency or neutrality in this cause, which so much
      concerneth the glory of God, the good of the kingdom, and
      honour of the king; but shall, all the days of our
      lives, zealously and constantly continue therein against
      all opposition, and promote the same, according to
      our power, against all lets and impediments
      whatsoever; and what we are not able ourselves to suppress or
      overcome, we shall reveal and make known, that it may be
      timely prevented or removed: All which we shall do as in
      the sight of God. <br><br>"And, because these
      kingdoms are guilty of many sins and provocations against
      GOD, and his Son JESUS CHRIST, as is too manifest by
      our present distresses and dangers, the fruits
      thereof; we profess and declare, before GOD and the world,
      our unfeigned desire to be humbled for our own sins,
      and for the sins of these kingdoms; especially that
      we have not, as we ought, valued the inestimable
      benefit of the Gospel; that we have not laboured for the
      purity and power thereof; and the we have not
      endeavoured to receive Christ in our hearts, not to walk
      worthy of him in our lives; which are the causes of
      other sins and transgression so much abounding amongst
      us: and our true and unfeigned purpose, desire, and
      endeavour, for ourselves, and all others under our power and
      charge, both in public and private, in all duties we owe
      to GOD and man, to amend our lives, and each one to
      go before another in the example of a real
      reformation; that the Lord may turn away his wrath and heavy
      indignation, and establish these Churches and kingdoms in
      truth and peace. And this Covenant we make in the
      presence of ALMIGHTY GOD, the Searcher of all hearts, with
      a true intention to perform the same, as we shall
      answer at that great day, when the secrets of all hearts
      shall be disclosed; most humbly beseeching the LORD to
      strengthen us by his HOLY SPIRIT for this end, and to bless
      our desires and proceedings with such success, as may
      be deliverance and safety to his people, and
      encouragement to other Christian Churches, groaning under, or
      in danger of the yoke of antichristian tyranny, to
      join in the same or like association and covenant, to
      the glory of GOD, the enlargement of the kingdom of
      JESUS CHRIST, and the peace and tranquillity of
      Christian kingdoms and commonwealths."<br><br>Again, true
      and thorough Reformation comes by way of Covenant
      with God.<br><br>gmw.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18 4:52 PM
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.