[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Bigoted Calvinists

  • Thomas Britton
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 2, 2002
      Greg,

      Uh, I am sorry to have to correct a misunderstaning my new friend ,
      but the view that the United States of America is an ungodly,
      athietistical, antichristian and covenant-breaking constitution of
      Government is NOT the peculiar province of the "Barrows Boys": please,
      Please see Samuel Wylie's Two Sons of Oil first published in 1803
      www.covenanter.org/Wylie/twosonsofoil.htm

      I have enjoyed "America's Caesar" thus far, though I hate reading it
      on line, but I'm to frugal (& broke) to buy a hardcopy (that is,
      unless you have a hardcover copy around somewhere. I do hate wasting
      money on softcover. They won't weather long in the "Britton Posterity
      Library," ya know?)

      Semper Paratus!
      Tom

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., Crown Rights Book Company
      <books@c...> wrote:
      > At 01:38 PM 12/2/02 -0800, you wrote:
      > >I too can dig up some beautiful prayers from Oliver Cromwell (that
      > >usurper), King James I & II, King Charles I & II, etc.
      > >
      > >My point is that the USA is in breach of the SL&C. Presbyterians
      are not
      > >supposed to pledge alligence to this Constitution nor fight for its
      > >armies. The same would hold true to the CSA. But I no longer care to
      > >talk about this issue, most have ignored the root cause of it all:
      namely

    • speaking_of_tulips <speaking_of_tulips@y
      Message 60 of 60 , Dec 9, 2002
        Dear all,

        I didn't think the two questions I asked had been addressed fully. I
        note a response from Christopher below, but I would much appreciate
        any other light that anyone can throw on this.

        > . . . Are you saying that it would be
        > impermissible for me as a Brit to become an Amercian Citizen if it so
        > be possible at some point that such an opportunity were presented to
        > me if I have to swear and oath to become one?

        and

        > . . . I'm merely asking
        > whether that is an established fact of that which would need to be
        > sworn in the case of, say, becoming a US citizen.

        (that it would not be appropriate, or even worse, - actually
        positively sinful?)

        and

        > If someone did neither, i.e. did not understand themselves to be
        > bound by either the N.C. or the S.L.&C., would you say this still
        > applied to them?

        > Suppose an Iranian believer (a man say) was to be married to a
        > British subject, would it be wrong for the British wife /
        > wife-to-be to become an Iranian citizen?

        Christopher replied:

        > Afaik, such a course would be permissible, since the political
        > dissent of the "Steelites" applies only to the current nations and
        > colonies of the 3 Kingdoms and not to the vassal states (which are
        > Legion)of the British Empire. Besides, over and above that, it is
        > the sort of oath you have to swear (semi-independent of covenant-
        > considerations) that matters. Is is qualified, or unqualified
        > loyalty (requiring an implicit faith)?

        But I'm not sure I understood the answer.

        If the state was not a "vassal state", would anything apply from the
        SL&C? I can't see how.

        What sort of country-allegiance-oath would be acceptable, and what not
        according to the Scriptures?

        What about becoming a US citizen if one is already a citizen of, say,
        the UK? (Indeed, what about becoming a citizen of the UK if one is
        already a citizen of another country (and, one not "tied" to the UK or
        the US)?)

        Seeking further clarification in the light of the Scriptures.

        (BTW: I'm not asking these questions simply to sound confounding, I
        have a real reason on the part of people who may face such issues in
        current times.)

        In Christ's Precious Name,

        SoT.