RE: [Covenanted Reformation] Three forms of unity? One will do!

  • Bill Ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      > <Bill>
      > I told you that on biblical principle the practice of giving names
      to assemblies is unacceptable.

      <Jason>
      >>So, let me get this straight, you can believe whatever seems
      fitting to you so long as you don't give it a name?

      <Bill>
      Did I say that? I don't remember saying that.

      >What name do you gather under?

      <Jason>
      >>Under the Name of the Triune God, Father Son and Holy
      GhostPresently.

      <Bill>
      It is endlessly fascinating to me how seldom people make any effort to
      conform their speech to scripture, even when discussing their religion,
      but prefer terms from their religious traditions.

      <Jason>
      >>Though I imagine this is more what you mean--I am attending the church
      that is the parent of the college I am going to, which goes by the name
      Christ Church

      <Bill>
      1 Cor 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul;
      and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; ***and I of Christ***.

      <Jason>
      >>and is a member the Confederation of Reformed Evangelicals,

      <Bill>
      So your whole assembly is a member of a political body?

      1 Corinthians 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in
      particular.

      Are you of the opinion that this denominating (naming) is commended in
      scripture? Am I to judge you as pious by the many monikers of your
      religion?

      <Jason>
      >>at home I am a member of the First Christian Reformed Church of Ripon,
      CA. I have formally professed adherence to the Three Forms of Unity-
      http://www.prca.org/literature.html and I am also in agreement with
      the Westminster standards.

      <Bill>
      In these "Three Forms of Unity" - is there any mention made of Paul's
      decrying denominating? Is it more faithful to scripture to "confess" the
      "Three Forms of Unity" or to refuse to wear the name of a faction?

      Are you a christian? Or rather, do you imagine yourself to be a
      christian? If so, then why?

      <Jason>
      >>This is my sincere prayer, for I am saddened to see so many under
      such a violent head.

      <Bill>
      Save your prayers. I do my very happy family no violence. In fact it
      seems rather suspicious that you choose that word!

      By the way, they are not "under" me as "head."

      <Jason>
      >>I do not doubt that you are the rightful father, but rightful fathers
      are often tortuous tyrants such yourself, who tear down their own homes
      with pernicious, destructive, and false doctrine. I pray firstly that
      God would open your eyes to your most dangerous error and turn you, if
      he would not
      grant that I ask that the tortured subjects might be freed by your
      destruction.

      <Bill>
      What is the "pernicious, destructive, and false doctrine" you are
      referring to? Shunning denominational identification? Is that such a
      crime? Might you be over reacting just a wee bit - even if I were
      wrong?!

      Ps 18:26-27
      With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure;
      And with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.
      For thou wilt save the afflicted people;
      But wilt bring down high looks.

      <Bill>
      Er, Jason, are you imagining yourself to be the "thou" in that passage?!
      Get a grip!

      Bill Ross