Re: Premillennialism and Confession

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "Mark Ennis" <kurios22@c...>
      wrote:
      > Does anyone else think the Westminster Confession statements on the
      > last Things rules out premillennialism altogether?

      Yes.

      > How would a premillennialist pass an ordination exam or claim full
      > subscription?

      I'm not sure how most presbyterian churches allow a Chiliast to
      subscribe to the WCF except with making exceptions. The Free
      Presbyterian church of Ulster affirms liberty in the area of
      eschatology. (eg. Dr. Ian Paisley is a Premill, while other elders
      are Amill and some are postmill).

      The Bible Presbyterian Church under McIntire revised their american
      confession and catechisms in 1938 to make it conform to
      premillennialism.

      The tiny American Presbyterian Church which follows the same revised
      WCF and is premillennial and denies eschatological liberty. They
      write:

      "Reformed theology and Reformed churches have never had a unified
      position on eschatology (Greek for the doctrine of future things).
      The Reformed churches of the continent have traditionally favored
      amillennialism. Presbyterian churches have for the most part
      historically favored postmillennialism. All three positions were
      represented at the Westminster assembly and such noted personages as
      Dr. Twisse, the moderator, and Goodwin, the Independent, were
      premillennialists. The Westminster standards therefore allow for all
      three and basically take a position of eschatological liberty."

      [I disagree with the last sentence if it sanctions premillennialism]

      They further write:

      "Unlike the bulk of their Presbyterian brethren, the American
      Presbyterian Church confesses historic premillennialism as its
      creed. The Church therefore made a conscious decision not to adopt a
      position of eschatological liberty."

      IMO the premillennial BPC and APC are more consistent in revising
      their WCF to conform to premillennialism than those presbyterian
      bodies which do not and merely permit the chiliast view as one
      legitimate view among many.

      Colin Tayler