Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: T.N.J.K.

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
      Dear Eric,

      As much as I admire John Knox, I don't think I would go so far as to suggest that.  Do you honestly believe God left His Church without true ministers til Knox showed up?

      Cheryl
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
        Howdy, Ma'aM:

        There were ministers though not true: meaning, not hating Idolatry, of worship and otherwise, as J.K.
        Columba was J.K. before J.K.'s time.

        Sincerely, Eric

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
          Hey NJK,

          Ye may have sayeth this already, forgive me if I missed it, but where do ye fellowship presently? Or where woot ye?

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
            Oh my I like John Knox too, but there were so many
            others, John Calvin, Theo Geza, Frederick of Germany,
            on and on look at the history of the church.
            http://www.gty.org/~phil/hall.htm

            --- E H J <GODANDCOUNTRY@...> wrote:
            > Howdy, Ma'aM:
            >
            > If there was never John Knox,
            > Then there would not have been a TRUE minister of
            > thee Holy Gospel since Apostle Paul!
            >
            > GOD, help us...
            >
            > Sincerely, Eric
            >

            > Ah! The lad has a name!
            >
            > Howdy, Eric, sir.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Devoted admirer of Knox

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Cheryl
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
              Now Columba is one I would like to know more of.  I read a novel about him by Nigel Tranter a couple of years ago and it intrigued me to learn of the Irish monk who evangelized Alba.

              Cheryl

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
                Dear Eric,

                I have only read a few of Tranter's novels -- the one about Columba, and another one about the founder of the Clan MacDonald.  I am afraid I know nothing about his religious affiliations.  The suggestion in his book on Columba was that Columba was not in favor of the church of Rome and that the Culdees resisted Rome.

                As far as how close to truth the novel is, I don't know.  I did do some reading about Iona subsequent to reading the novel, and did read up a bit on the Culdees.  In any event, I always read historical fiction with a pinch or more of salt.  It is too easy for the author to romanticize the story.

                Cheryl

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2002
                    Howdy, Ma'aM:

                    Columba was the Eternal opposite of the "church" of Rome: Rome's marble versus Iona's mud!
                    Did the novelist elaborate about Columba'a biblical doctrine?
                    The novelist wrote about the Covenanters; so ye had not read about that, it seems.
                    Would ye like to know more about Columba, Ma'aM?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 4, 2002
                      Dear Eric,

                      I would certainly love to know more about Columba if you can point me to some good resources.

                      Which book was it that dealt with the Covenanters?  Did he play fair by them?

                      Cheryl