Dutch Psalmody

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , May 28, 2001
      For Synod of Dordt fans!<br><br>"With one word,
      we judge this and other novelties in these carefree
      days a useless hindrance. This we also say of the
      introduction of new hymn-books, and present day ditties, which
      we do not find in God's Word; as also the playing
      and peeping of organs in the Worship service. The
      former are all against the decrees of our Synods. See
      about singing in the Church, the National Synod of
      Dordt held in 1578, art. 76; the National Synod held in
      Middelburg, 1581, art. 51; the National Synod held in the
      Hague, 1586, art. 62; at which gatherings hymns not
      found in Scripture are expressly forbidden.... It is
      known from Church history, that those who are after
      novelties by introducing man-made hymns and errors have
      corrupted the Congregation. Although these people have no
      wrong motives, it is nevertheless not advisable to
      follow in their steps, since we may receive from them
      copper instead of gold as the pious Peter Martyr
      witnessed about the time hymns were introduced into the
      Roman Church. See Peter Martyr on 1 Cor. 14: 26. The
      words of lord van Aldegonde in this respect are
      remarkable. In the introduction to his book of Psalms he
      says, 'The experience of earlier days has taught us
      that it is often harmful to introduce something which
      is not based on the Scriptures of the Old and New
      Testaments.'"<br><br>From THE WONDERS OF THE MOST HIGH (A 125 YEAR HISTORY
      OF THE UNITED NETHERLANDS 1550-1675) by Abraham Van
      De Velde [17th Century]<br><br>gmw.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.