Re: Jeff -- Covenanting

  • scots_grey
    Message 1 of 734 , Sep 7, 2001
      Regarding your willingness to split hairs over
      moral vs. ontological personhood, I find your response
      rather incomprehensible. I can't see how one can have
      moral personhood without ontological personhood. It's
      kinda by definition. I'm not being condescending, but
      do you understand what 'ontological'
      means?<br><br>You state that God wrote the moral law on the heart
      of man. I'd prefer that you say that we were given
      the capacity to have a relationship and that we were
      created with a conscience, but I won't quibble on that
      point. You also say that the moral law is summarized in
      the 10 Commandments. Why stop there? Go to the two
      Greatest Commandments. Besides which, I don't<br>think
      literal Sabbath-keeping is part of the moral law -- it
      isn't repeated in the NT, it's a concept unique to the
      Israelites among other ancient near eastern cultures. I
      actually think that part of what is going on in the Law is
      God calling His people to be markedly different.
      the human heart, and the 10 Commandments, to jump
      from there to them being the only valid standard of
      morality for a nation is quite a jump. To go from there to
      national personhood is mindboggling.<br><br>And finally
      you said; "The 10 Commandments are the only valid
      standard of morality for the individual, for the
      Church..." This is out-and-out wrong. It's just false.
      Jesus, Paul, and the other NT writers consistently call
      us to go beyond the Law in our understanding of
      right and wrong. The Greatest Commandments? "A new
      command I give you..." ? "You have heard... but I tell
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.