Re: Solemn League and Covenant (2)

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , May 21, 2001
      SL&C continued:<br><br>"I. That we shall
      sincerely, really, and constantly, through the grace of GOD,
      endeavor, in our several places and callings, the
      preservation of the reformed religion in the Church of
      Scotland, in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government,
      against our common enemies; the reformation of religion
      in the kingdoms of England and Ireland, in doctrine,
      worship, discipline, and government, according to the Word
      of GOD, and the example of the best reformed
      Churches; and shall endeavour to bring the Churches of GOD
      in the three kingdoms to the nearest conjunction and
      uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church
      Government, Directory for Worship and Catechising; that we,
      and our posterity after us, may, as brethren, live in
      faith and love, and the Lord may delight to dwell in
      the midst of us. <br><br>"II. That we shall, in like
      manner, without respect of persons, endeavour the
      extirpation of Popery, Prelacy (that is, Church government by
      archbishops, bishops, their chancellors and commissioners,
      deans, deans and chapters, archdeacons, and all other
      ecclesiastical officers depending on that hierarchy),
      superstition, heresy, schism, profaneness, and whatsoever shall
      be found contrary to sound doctrine and the power of
      Godliness; lest we partake in other men's sins, and thereby
      be in danger to receive of their plagues; and that
      the Lord may be one, and his mane one, in the three
      kingdoms. <br><br>"III. We shall, with the same sincerity,
      reality, and constancy, in our several vocations,
      endeavour, with our estates and lives, mutually to preserve
      the rights and privileges of the Parliaments, and the
      liberties of the kingdoms; and to preserve and defend the
      king's majesty's person and authority, in the
      preservation and defence of the true religion and liberties of
      the kingdoms; that the world may bear witness with
      our consciences of our loyalty, and that we have no
      other thoughts or intentions to diminish his majesty's
      just power and greatness. <br><br>"IV. We shall also,
      with all faithfulness, endeavour the discovery of all
      such as have been or shall be incendiaries,
      malignants, or evil instruments, be hindering the reformation
      of religion, dividing the king from his people, or
      one of the kingdoms from another, or making any
      faction or parties among the people, contrary to this
      League and Covenant; that they may be brought to public
      trial, and receive condign punishment, as the degree of
      their offences shall require or deserve, or the supreme
      judicatories of both kingdoms respectively, or others having
      power from them for that effect, shall judge
      convenient. <br><br>"V. And whereas the happiness of a
      blessed peace between these kingdoms, denied in former
      times to our progenitors, is, by the good providence of
      GOD, granted unto us, and hath been lately concluded
      and settled by both Parliaments; we shall, each one
      of us, according to our place and interest,
      endeavour that they may remain conjoined in a firm peace
      and union to all posterity; and that justice may be
      done upon the willful opposers thereof, in manner
      expressed in the precedent article."<br><br>(continued)
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.