Re: National Covenant and Law: Jarubin

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 734 , Sep 3, 2001
      With these points in mind, the closest author to
      a theonomic perspective is probably George
      Gillespie
      (<a href=http://www.geocities.com/a_covenanter/anti_toleration/gillespie_wholesome_severity.html target=new>http://www.geocities.com/a_covenanter/anti_toleration/gillespie_wholesome_severi
      ty.html</a>).<br>Other works recommended (and not all are going to agree
      with Mr. Gillespie):<br>Calvin's commentary on the
      Pentateuch. He deals with some of these questions with
      regards to how this or that law does or does not have
      applicability today. Again, while some of what Calvin says
      would agree with some of what some of the theonomists
      hold as far as actual laws applicable today (and they
      published some of his sermons on Deut. which I think can be
      still downloaded from freebooks.com), Rushdoony for
      example has declared Calvin's view of the law as
      "heretical nonsense." His commentaries are available online
      @ Christian Classics Ethereal Library.<br>Samuel
      Rutherfurd's Free Disputation Against Pretended Liberty of
      Conscience has a few sections dealing specifically with the
      relationship between the OT law and the NT magistrate. His
      position is not identical with Gillespie's. Rutherfurd's
      Lex Rex deals with a number of issues relative to the
      magistrate as well. <br>Alexander Shields' A Hind Let Loose
      does not deal so much with the relation of OT law to
      NT times, but a chunk of it does deal with questions
      of magistracy that you may find helpful, including
      how Christians ought to consider their relations to
      pagan magistrates in pagan lands, apostate Christian
      magistrates, Christian magistrates in a reformed land, and
      Christian magistrates in a yet reforming land, what defines
      a tyrant, the right to bear arms, the relation of
      the magistrate to God and to the people,
      etc.<br>Thomas Case's Jehoshaphat's Caveat to His Judges. Deals
      with matters regarding what type of men to set up and
      deals with certain questions such as whether a
      magistrate may forgive a lawbreaker or whether he needs to
      punish him. <br>Augustine's letter On the Correction of
      the Donatists, inasfar as it deals with some degree
      of the principles of the relationship between OT
      laws and NT magistrates, and differences between the
      pagan and the Christian magistrate and why he holds to
      the position he is taking may be helpful as
      well.<br>Alexander Shields is out of print, but SWRB does have
      photocopies. <br>Rutherfurd and Thomas Case are both on
      Puritan Bookshelf # 6, a CDRom series released by SWRB.
      Lex Rex is still in print, but
      <<warning!>> most modern reprints of Lex Rex are from an
      expurgated 19th century edition that changed or deleted much
      of the original material, and you are best off
      reading the original.<br>Augustine on the correction of
      the Donatists is found practically anywhere where you
      find a church fathers series.<br>The subject is all
      well and good to look into, but remember our times and
      circumstances. There is a greater need of evangelism and reform
      in the church in our day, and reformation of the
      state before a reformation of the church and the hearts
      of the mass of the people is misguided and setting
      up a situation that is doomed to fail. We need
      Christ in our hearts and our laws, but without the
      first, the second are not going to last for long.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.