Re: National Covenant and Law: Jarubin

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 734 , Sep 3, 2001
      This is all off the top of my head, so I may
      falter a bit here. But this MIGHT be helpful.<br>There
      are some definite differences between Bahnsen's
      theonomic thesis and the understanding of the OT law by the
      Westminster divines, but it has been a while since I read
      Bahnsen's thesis, so I don't recall all of the differences
      off the top of my head.<br>As to the views of the
      magistrate by Westminster Divines, there are certain
      disagreements and certain agreements betwixt them, as with
      other reformed authors of the day. I'm not listing
      these to debate these points, only to educate on what
      the ideas were. Let us deal with those points wherein
      it appears from what I have read of them or about
      them where most of them were in agreement:<br>1. The
      judicial laws of Moses that were delivered unto Israel by
      God are not all moral law (i.e., that law which binds
      all magistrates by <br>nature, being good in
      themselves and not merely because commanded), and only the
      moral law behind the judicials is applicable today.
      Some<br>laws: a. applied the moral law to their situation as an
      agrarian society, as such, these laws may reflect moral
      principles that bind, but<br>are not directly binding upon
      all magistrates. So too, certain laws may have
      accomodated to the problems of the day, as for instance,
      polygamy was<br>such a problem already in Israel that the
      magistrate was given no law for the punishment of such, but
      rather presuming that it was already widespread<br>there
      were moral laws that intended the problem to be ceased
      (kings were not supposed to be given to many wives, the
      law against marrying a woman and <br>her "sister" -
      some regard sister here to refer not merely to blood
      relation, but to any other woman, who becomes as a sister
      to the first wife after <br>the marriage by means of
      affinity), and those who were already polygamous were given
      regulations to protect the wives and their children, but
      illegal. Had the problem been weeded out of Israel, they
      could have enacted stricter measures to <br>prohibit
      such. So too, the magistrate in a polygamous society
      today, if it turned to Christ, may need to accomodate to
      the situation as it exists <br>until the problem is
      weeded out. They also held that adultery, though it
      ought to be punishable by death, in a society where the
      sin had become <br>commonplace due to paganism or
      apostacy, the magistrate may in order to keep from
      destroying half his kingdom need to punish it with lesser
      degrees <br>at first in order to facilitate reform, and
      encourage the work of the church in curbing the problem
      until the punishment can be gradually upped to<br>where
      it ought to be. In such a case, the magistrate was
      not regarded as in sin if such a lessening of the
      penalty was regarded as needful due to the desperate
      state of the nation. So too, in Israel's reformations,
      not all that had been guilty of idolatry were
      punished, but only the ringleaders, and those who continued
      publically to perform the pagan works thenceforth. Not
      because the others did not deserve punishment, <br>but
      because Israel may have lost the half or more of their
      nation, many of whom had repented. b . Some were related
      to the ceremonial law, as <br>those real estate laws
      that tended to keep the tribes separated into each's
      own inheritance, which was to keep any of the tribes
      from <br>falling from existence by intermingling, and
      this in order that the prophecies may be fulfilled
      about the lineage of the Messiah. <br>This is not the
      only law that is part ceremonial, just one example. c.
      Certain religious laws in their specific applicability in
      the OT were <br>applied to their situation as under
      Holy War and need not apply in the exact same way in
      other situations, though many of those laws do have
      behind them is applicable today.<br>(Continued)
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.