Re: National Covenant and Law: Jarubin

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , Sep 3, 2001
      Jeff R.,<br><br>I've admitted before that I am
      quite ignorant of the theonomy movement, which is why I
      asked you for the publisher of that book. Maybe I could
      learn something. But let me tell you the little bit I
      do know...<br><br>1. The theonomy and the
      Covenanting position are similar in that they both hold that
      a Nation is accountable to God, and that the
      magistrate is to uphold and defend both tables of the
      Law.<br><br>2. They are different in that 1) Theonomists don't
      necessarily require a Covenant to be made by the Nation in
      question. 2) Theonomists tend to lump the Judicial laws
      together with the Moral Law, thus making the death penalty
      for certain crimes morally obliging to a Nation
      today. This is contrary to the Confession which states
      "To them [Israel] also, as a body politic, He gave
      sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the
      State of that people; not obliging under any now,
      further than the general equity thereof may require"
      (19:4).<br><br>Other than that, I'm afraid you're asking the wrong
      guy. I know there are former and current theonomists
      on this list, who have thus far remained silent on
      this issue. Perhaps we can convince some of them to
      pipe up?<br><br>gmw.
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.