Solemn League and Covenant (1)

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 734 , May 21, 2001
      THE SOLEMN LEAGUE AND COVENANT for reformation
      and defence of religion, the honour and happiness of
      the King, and the peace and safety of the three
      kingdoms of Scotland, England, and Ireland; agreed upon by
      Commissioners from the Parliament and Assembly of Divines in
      England, with Commissioners of the Convention of Estates
      and General Assembly of the Church of Scotland;
      approved by the General Assembly of the Church of
      Scotland, and by both Houses of Parliament, and the
      Assembly of Divines in England, and taken and subscribed
      by them anno 1643; and thereafter, by the said
      authority, taken and subscribed by all ranks in Scotland and
      England the same year; and ratified by act of the
      Parliament of Scotland anno 1644. (And again renewed in
      Scotland, with an acknowledgement of sins and engagements
      to duties, by all ranks, anno 1648, and by
      Parliament, 1649; and taken and subscribed by King Charles
      II., at Spey, June 23, 1650; and at Scoon, January 1,
      1651.)<br><br>"We, noblemen, barons, knights, gentlemen, citizens,
      burgesses, ministers of the Gospel, and commons of all
      sorts, in the kingdoms of Scotland, England, and
      Ireland, by the providence of GOD living under one king,
      and being of one reformed religion, having before our
      eyes the glory of God, and the advancement of the
      kingdom of our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, the honour
      and happiness of the king's majesty and his
      posterity, and the true public liberty, safety, and peace of
      the kingdom, wherein every one's private condition is
      included: and calling to mind the treacherous and bloody
      plots, conspiracies, attempts, and practices of the
      enemies of GOD, against the true religion and professors
      thereof in all places, especially in these three
      kingdoms, ever since the reformation of religion; and how
      much their rage, power, and presumption, are of late,
      and at this time, increased and exercised, whereof
      the deplorable state of the Church and kingdom of
      Ireland, the distressed state of the Church and kingdom of
      England, and the dangerous state of the Church and kingdom
      of Scotland, are present and public testimonies: we
      have now at last (after other means of supplication,
      remonstrance, protestation, and sufferings), for the
      preservation of ourselves and our religion from utter ruin and
      destruction, according to the commendable practice of these
      kingdoms in former times, and the example of GOD'S people
      in other nations, after mature deliberation,
      resolved and determined to enter into a Mutual and Solemn
      League and Covenant, wherein we all subscribe, and each
      one of us for himself, with our hands lifted up to
      the Most High GOD, do swear,"<br><br>(continued)
    • almo_no1
      Message 734 of 734 , Sep 18, 2001
        prayers are easy gmw, you've got 'em.