Re: A tad unclear on Pedobaptism

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2002
      Hi Patrick,

      It would be important to clarify another difference between
      pedobaptists and anti-pedobaptists. Reformed Pedobaptists generally
      are not in the business of determining who is and who is not a true
      Christian. We believe that the visible church consists of all those
      who profess the true religion and their children. My old Baptist
      church, on the other hand, defined the church as all those who are
      true believers (with no distinction between the visible and invisible
      church). Given the Reformed/pedobaptist understanding, it is not at
      all problematic that Shaw refers to the children of believers
      as "Christians." We do not know if they are truly justified before
      God or not, but neither is that our job to guess. We, in Christian
      charity, consider them to be holy for the sakes of their parent(s) as
      Paul did (1st Corinthians 7:14), that is, FEDERALLY HOLY. They are
      not OUTSIDE the visible church as are the heathen and their children.

      Hope this helps. Let me know either way, so I can clarify more if
      needed.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
      <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
      > I encountered in Dr. Shaw's Commentary on the WCOF and the
      Directory
      > of Publick Worship that infants are "federally holy" and "that they
      > are Christians". Undoubtedly as we see in the case of David and
      John
      > the Baptist, they were justified from birth and thus were
      Christians