A tad unclear on Pedobaptism

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2002
      I encountered in Dr. Shaw's Commentary on the WCOF and the Directory
      of Publick Worship that infants are "federally holy" and "that they
      are Christians". Undoubtedly as we see in the case of David and John
      the Baptist, they were justified from birth and thus were Christians
      in infancy. So, there are indeed some infants who are justified from
      birth even to-day. Now, I am unclear about the rest of the infants
      not saved from birth yet counted as "federally holy" and as a
      Christian. What does "federally holy" mean? How can they be
      Christian yet unsaved? Does this relate to Paul's verse on infants
      being saved through their parents in that through their parents in
      the Covenant they are "federally holy"? Thanks for clarifying it for
      me.

      Patrick/Whit
    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2002
        Hi Patrick,

        It would be important to clarify another difference between
        pedobaptists and anti-pedobaptists. Reformed Pedobaptists generally
        are not in the business of determining who is and who is not a true
        Christian. We believe that the visible church consists of all those
        who profess the true religion and their children. My old Baptist
        church, on the other hand, defined the church as all those who are
        true believers (with no distinction between the visible and invisible
        church). Given the Reformed/pedobaptist understanding, it is not at
        all problematic that Shaw refers to the children of believers
        as "Christians." We do not know if they are truly justified before
        God or not, but neither is that our job to guess. We, in Christian
        charity, consider them to be holy for the sakes of their parent(s) as
        Paul did (1st Corinthians 7:14), that is, FEDERALLY HOLY. They are
        not OUTSIDE the visible church as are the heathen and their children.

        Hope this helps. Let me know either way, so I can clarify more if
        needed.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"