Home Schoolers... please respond.

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
      Our oldest is at the point where we need to begin systematic home
      schooling (besides the Bible reading, catechism, and informal writing
      we've been doing). So I'm wondering if anyone out there would
      recommend good curriculum. Which company for which subject? Why do
      you prefer it over others? etc.

      Thanks!

      gmw.
    • nocost2great
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
        <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
        > Our oldest is at the point where we need to begin systematic home
        > schooling (besides the Bible reading, catechism, and informal
        writing
        > we've been doing). So I'm wondering if anyone out there would
        > recommend good curriculum. Which company for which subject? Why do

        Hi,
        With 6 of our 8 being schooled in some fashion I can at least say I
        have some experience to share. :D With our first couple we did alot
        of informal schooling and lots of reading. We have used a hodge-podge
        of different cirricula and I have found a few that stand out.
        Spelling Power is an excellent tool for teaching spelling. My 13 yo
        who used to have a hard time spelling four letter words can out spell
        me. I intend to invest in her new book Writing Power for the upcoming
        year. We used Sonlight which is a planned out for you type unit/real
        book approach and I liked it okay for the younger grades. (Even have
        some of the materials I'd be willing to loan out if you are
        interested.) You either have to invest in the books or make alot of
        trips to the library. For me it was worth it to buy the books. :)
        They authors are Arminian and it shows in their book selections.
        While they are younger it is easy to sift through this as you go.
        Also I wouldn't recommend their approach to science which teaches
        both creation and evolution at 3rd grade level. We have used Miquon
        Math and Saxon. I personally prefer Miquon if you have a child that
        is really intuitive in Math. I also have a Kindergarten Saxon book
        that has never been used. :) We used Robinson for the older children
        for a few years but because my crew is so big I noticed that I was
        leaving some gaps, especially in grammar. This year we are using
        School of Tomorrow (ACE) P.A.C.E. program. It is also Arminian (but
        the kids earn extra points for pointing out errors. :D )
        The kids like it because it is easy. I know lots of large families
        that use it. It requires very little intervention on the part of the
        parent once the child is reading. I don't prefer it because it is
        just regurgitaion. (sp?) However, it is helping close up some of
        those gaps. This coming year I am allowing the children to choose to
        continue with the PACE's (12 workbooks per subject per year)... or
        swap over to something else. As they get older it is helpful for you
        (and them) to realize what their learning style is. This is really
        the key to picking the right cirriculum. Another altime favorite of
        mine for cost effectiveness is Alpha Phonics. It is a quick and
        painless way to have them reading. It is also important to continue
        to read to them above their reading level even as they grow older.
        Even my oldest like to sit and listen to me read.
        If you are interested in the classical approach you might check out
        www.triviumpursuit.com They are very conservative and would agree
        with us on alot of things, but they aren't covenanters, or even
        presbys for that matter. I really like their stuff, and hope to
        implement a bit of it this next year, even if it is only to start the
        languages.

        hth,

        Dee Dee
      • Cheryl
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
          Dear Jerry,

          Like Dee Dee I am a veteran homeschooler of about 15 years with another 18 to go.  Most experienced homeschoolers use the eclectic approach when choosing curriculum.  If you want a cheap program that is non-consumable and teaches reading, try 100 Easy Lessons.  Can't remember the author but many homeschool suppliers carry this one.  Cost is about $25.  Another cheapy reading program is Explode the Code.  It is a workbook format, but I made mine non-consumable by using dry-erase markers and a plastic sheet protector put over the page for the kids to write on.  This teaches reading AND spelling in a systematic and fun way.

          If the classical education approach appeals to you but you don't have the time to spend the whole day teaching your children, you might want to look at the *methodology* of the Robinson curriculum. http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com   It is a complete K - 12 program for a couple of hundred dollars and it contains the full texts of many old books as well as the method Dr. Robinson espouses.  I don't use many of the books cuz I can't be bothered to print them out, but I like his method of teaching the kids as it does work and it frees me up for other things.  At the price he charges, it makes a great resource even if you don't use everything. I call it Classical Education for Dummies.

          One curriculum that you might be interested in is the one that Parnell McCarter is putting together called, Puritan Home Curriculum.  Parnell is an almost Covenanter whose 8 year old son recently became the youngest person to win the National Geographic Geography Bee.  He is working on putting together a homeschool curriculum that is self-consciously reformed.  I have been impressed with what he has put together thus far and intend to incorporate some of his materials in my own homeschool.  You can find information for his curriculum at http://www.puritans.net/curriculum/

          You may want to consider getting a subscription to Mary Pride's Practical HOmeschooling Magazine.  She does all kinds of reviews of curriculum in there.  She also publishes a set of books that does an effective job of reviewing and describing the many approaches to homeschooling and the materials available for each subject.  Cathy Duffy also has a book out that does the same.  Try searching the web for them and you should get their websites.  I think Mary's is called Homeschool World or something like that.

          That should get you started...
          Cheryl

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2002

            Hey Jerry,

            I heard about one book that has just been put on the homeschool curriculum called ‘Conversations with God’ which is supposed to be questions children ask God…..

            An example:  Lisa:  Why am I lesbian?

            Answer:  Supposedly God: for the same reason you are right handed or left handed or have blue eyes or any other personal characteristics.  You’re part of who I made you and I love you  just the way you are.

            Question:  How can you forgive all the bad things I’ve done?

            Answer:  Supposedly God:  You have to understand I don’t forgive anything.  I don’t forgive cause there is nothing to forgive.

            Doesn’t it make ya sick??

            ~Deejay

            Deejay