to have what everybody else has

  • jasperh98
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30 7:07 PM
      In the June 30, 2002 "Parade" magazine, a 16 yr old girl is quoted as
      saying that teens should have the "inalienable right to have what
      everybody else has." This girl gives an example of what she
      means: "when parents refuse to spend $80 for sneakers, a teenage jury
      will determine if said refusal is justified ...."

      May God grant to our young people, Understanding and Responsibility.

      -Jasper
    • mrkbevan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        And psychologist said that spanking children is a bad thing.

        Sound like some parent spared the rod there............
      • Repentant Deejay
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002

          <<<And psychologist said that spanking children is a bad thing.

          Hi Ken,

          Well, I’m probably putting my head in the noose here, but I actually agree that in certain circumstances it can be a bad thing.  I don’t have children so it isn’t an issue with me.  But I do think that for some parents/adults, hitting a child is a way of controlling them simply because they are bigger than the child and in some cases they can do them damage both physically and emotionally.  While I don’t hold that a parent should never discipline a child, I think to use corporal punishment as a general rule for all parents can have significant harmful effects on a child.  I guess what I’m trying to say, is that because some parents know not to go too far and don’t damage the child, because it is legal, this gives all parents the right, and in a lot of cases unnecessary force and brutality is used.

          ~Deejay

          Deejay

          And psychologist said that spanking children is a bad thing.

          Sound like some parent spared the rod there............

        • raging_calvinist
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            "While I don't hold that a parent should never discipline a
            child, I think to use corporal punishment as a general rule for all
            parents can have significant harmful effects on a child."

            Martin Luther says that the best thing you can do for the child, the
            family, the church, and the world, is to discipline your children
            with the rod of correction:

            "But this at least all married people should know. They can do no
            better work and do nothing mre valuable either for God, for
            Christendom, for all the world, for themselves, and for their
            children than to bring up their children well. In comparison with
            this one work, that married people should bring up their children
            properly, there is nothing at all in pilgrimages to Rome, Jerusalem,
            or Compostella, nothing at all in building churches, endowing masses,
            or whatever good works could be named. For bringing up their
            children properly is their shortest road to heaven. In fact, heaven
            itself could not be made nearer or achieved more easily than by doing
            this work. It is also their appointed work. Where parents are not
            conscientious about this, it is as if everything were the wrong way
            around, like fire that will not burn or water that is not wet.

            "By the same token, hell is no more easily earned than with respect
            to one's own children. You could do no more disastrous work than to
            spoil the children, let them curse and swear, let them learn profane
            words and vulgar songs, and just let them do as they please. What is
            more, some parents use enticements to be more alluring to meet the
            dictates of the world of fashion, so that they may please only the
            world, get ahead, and become rich, all the time giving more attention
            to the care of the body than to the due care of the soul. There is
            no greater tragedy in Christendom than spoiling children. If we want
            to help Christendom, we most certainly have to start with the
            children, as happened in earlier times.

            "This third point seems to me to be the most important of all, as
            well as being the most useful. For without a shadow of a doubt it is
            not only a matter of marital obligation, but can completely eclipse
            all other sins. False natural love blinds parents so that they have
            more regard for the bodies of their children than they have for their
            souls. It was because of this that the sage said, `He who spares the
            rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline
            him' [Proverbs 13:24]. Again, `Folly is bound up in the heart of a
            child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him' [Proverbs
            22:15]. Or again, `If you beat him with the rod you will save his
            life from hell' [Proverbs 23:14]. Therefore, it is of the greatest
            importance to every married man to pay closer, more thorough, and
            continuous attention to the health of his child's soul than to the
            body which he has begotten, and to regard his child as nothing else
            but the eternal treasure God has commanded him to protect, and so
            prevent the world, the flesh, and the devil from stealing the child
            way and bringing him to destruction. For at his death and on the day
            of judgment he will be asked about his child and will have to give a
            most solemn account. For what do you think is the cause of the
            horrible wailing and howling of those who will cry, `O blessed are
            the wombs which have not bore children, and the breasts which have
            never suckled' [Luke 23:29]? There is not the slightest doubt that
            it is because they have failed to restore their children to God, from
            whom they received them to take care of them."

            Hell vs. a red behind... no contest.