Presbyterian Church (USA) affirmed the unrestricted right to abortion,

  • stacyjam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002
      Pro-Life Presbyterians At Odds with Denomination's Stance

      By Rusty Pugh
      June 27, 2002

      (AgapePress) - A Presbyterian pro-life group says it is disappointed
      with the denomination's statement on abortion.

      Many Christians reacted with disbelief this week when the
      Presbyterian Church (USA) affirmed the unrestricted right to
      abortion, and also reaffirmed that late-term abortions would be paid
      for by the church in its medical benefits plan.

      Di Lupton is a board member of Presbyterians Pro-Life, an independent
      Virginia-based organization made up of PCUSA members and pastors
      striving for renewal in the denomination. Lupton, who is critical of
      the denomination's affirmation of abortion-on-demand, says most
      members of the denomination are in shock over the church's statement,
      which was approved by an almost 4-1 margin at the General Assembly.

      "It's hard to fathom how as a denomination our [overall abortion]
      policy ... says that although we don't have agreement on when life
      begins, we do have agreement that once life has begun it's to be
      cherished and protected," she says. "We believe when we're talking
      about viable infants who have just not yet been born, certainly they
      fall into that category that deserve our protection."

      Lupton admits she is having a lot of difficulty accepting the
      church's stance. "Many of us in the denomination are having a hard
      time with it," she says. "For those of us who are sitting in our
      churches and ... putting our money into the offering plates to go for
      spreading the work of the gospel, to know that it goes into this plan
      that has abortion coverage of any abortion, it's a problem -- but
      particularly for abortion of a viable infant."

      Other Christian leaders were less diplomatic, saying any support of
      abortion is in direct conflict with Biblical teaching.