RE: [Covenanted Reformation] I'm getting old.

  • Repentant_deejay
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2002

      Hey, Jerry,

      I can only twice remembering feeling similar to that…one when Princess  Di died…. (and no, I’m not a Royalist(!)  and the other when Freddie Mercury died……

      ~Deejay

      "8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly"

      Deejay

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2002
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "Repentant_deejay"
        <repentant_deejay@e...> wrote:
        > I can only twice remembering feeling similar to that.one when
        Princess Di
        > died..

        I remember the feeling of incredulity that came over me when I heard
        that she died. We are the same age. I don't know why, but it just
        seemed inconceivable to me that someone who was so alive no longer
        existed.

        I also feel old when I see Alan Alda. Lately I have been taking out
        M*A*S*H videos from the public library and watching them. This was
        one of my favorite shows when I was growing up, and Hawkeye Pierce
        was my mentor in how to make fast quips. Lately, I have seen him
        doing documentaries on Scientific America (or something like that) on
        PBS. Man, does he ever look old!

        The only cure is to keep on having kids if the Lord grants that.
        Somehow you can't be too old if you can still have a baby.

        I was out today with my newest daughter and my second oldest
        daughter who is 18. She had along her daughter/my granddaughter who
        is now 10 months old. It was WEIRD having a daughter younger than my
        grandchild. And my 18 yo had to keep telling everyone that the baby
        she was holding was her sister and my daughter and that Keiannah was
        her baby. You could see them trying to do the mental calculations to
        figure out how old I must be. Heheheh.

        Cheryl
      • Repentant_deejay
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27, 2002

          It may also interest you to know, Cheryl that during Mash’s heyday… it was Prince Charles very favourite programme.

          ~Deejay<full of useless info>

          "8Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly"

          Deejay

          > I can only twice remembering feeling similar to that.one when
          Princess  Di
          > died..

          I remember the feeling of incredulity that came over me when I heard
          that she died. We are the same age.  I don't know why, but it just
          seemed inconceivable to me that someone who was so alive no longer
          existed.

          I also feel old when I see Alan Alda.  Lately I have been taking out
          M*A*S*H videos from the public library and watching them.  This was
          one of my favorite shows when I was growing up, and Hawkeye Pierce
          was my mentor in how to make fast quips.  Lately, I have seen him
          doing documentaries on Scientific America (or something like that) on
          PBS. Man, does he ever look old!

            The only cure is to keep on having kids if the Lord grants that.
          Somehow you can't be too old if you can still have a baby.

            I was out today with my newest daughter and my second oldest
          daughter who is 18.  She had along her daughter/my granddaughter who
          is now 10 months old.  It was WEIRD having a daughter younger than my
          grandchild.  And my 18 yo had to keep telling everyone that the baby
          she was holding was her sister and my daughter and that Keiannah was
          her baby.  You could see them trying to do the mental calculations to
          figure out how old I must be. Heheheh.

          Cheryl

        • jrschuiling
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2002
            Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jerry,
            I know how you feel, you just wanna be sedated, but remenber with age
            comes wisdom, and as the Scripture saith:

            The glory of young men is their strength, and the splendor of old men
            is their gray head.-Prov 20:29

            The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way
            of righteousness.-Prov 16:31

            Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry
            you! I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will
            deliver you.-Isa 46:4

            Jason

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
            <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
            > Pardon the off topic pop-culture remarks here...
            >
            > I feel old.
            >
            > I just read that John Entwistle of The Who died.
            >
            > Within the year TWO of the Ramones died (Joey and Dee Dee).
            >
            > And there are just two Beatles left.
            >
            > I know, I know. Besides the Ramones, these guys are not really "my
            > generation," but when guys like these die, I get this feeling of "I
            > don't know what the world is like without _____ being around doing
            > their thing."
            >
            > Anybody else get like this? I mean, I'm not crying or anything.
            > Just a bit bummed.
            >
            > gmw.
          • Soles
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002
              Deejay,

              I know what you mean, I was hauling a load of cattle late the evening of her death when I heard of her accident, and that the doctors had been desperately trying to save her.....I was really stunned over her passing, very sad at the thought that it was not likely that I would meet her in glory.

              ~Cathie~

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002

                Well, Cathie, I kind of have a different memory.  At the time I was a long way off from being a Christian and thought (wrongly) that everyone unless they were really evil went to Heaven.  And I had a fear of death.  And even though I was enormously upset at her passing, I kind of found some comfort that if I did die in the near future, at least someone like she would be there……

                It was around four am here when the news came through.  It had been one of many sleepless nights.  And at that time of night, and having no one to share it with, it made it seem all the worse.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2002
                    Dear All,
                    I'm new to the club.
                    I am at present on the verge of forsaking previous ecclesiastical
                    assosciations for the sake of the covenanted reformation.I'm finding
                    it slightly alarming that I'm getting the impression-and I'm sure
                    that it must be a false one-that people who contend for the
                    covenanting position might also countenance pop idiom music.You
                    should be careful not to let outsiders think that you mix with
                    something that is wholely incompatible with a Christian
                    testimony,particularly a covenanting one.
                    Chris.

                    Service.

                    Service.