Re: Terms of Communion

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2002
      Thanks for the link, Patrick! You can take a peek at some communion
      tokens used at Rev. John Brown's congregation at the top of the page
      at http://www.covenanter.org/LordsSupper/holycommunion.htm

      Also, go to http://www.bottles.freeserve.co.uk/scottish.htm and
      scroll down to communion tokens. You can view some pics of them
      there.

      gmw.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
      <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
      > I was doing research on my Hugenot ancestors, and I found something
      > that might help regarding Closed Communion and Terms of Communion.
      > It is called the Meareaux, a coin-sized token that was given to
      those
      > who qualified for admission to the Lord's Table and was refused to
      > those under discipline:
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/mer-e.htm
      >
      > Calvin strongly recommended the Hugenots use it.
      >
      > Patrick/Whit
    • seamrog1935
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2002
        Thanks for the link to the additional tokens (I didn't know that
        other Reformeds used them, but it is very good to know). Do any
        churches still use them today?

        Patrick
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
        <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the link, Patrick! You can take a peek at some
        communion
        > tokens used at Rev. John Brown's congregation at the top of the
        page
        > at http://www.covenanter.org/LordsSupper/holycommunion.htm
        >
        > Also, go to http://www.bottles.freeserve.co.uk/scottish.htm and
        > scroll down to communion tokens. You can view some pics of them
        > there.
        >
        > gmw.
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
        > <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
        > > I was doing research on my Hugenot ancestors, and I found
        something
        > > that might help regarding Closed Communion and Terms of
        Communion.
        > > It is called the Meareaux, a coin-sized token that was given to
        > those
        > > who qualified for admission to the Lord's Table and was refused
        > > those under discipline:
        > >
        > > http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/mer-e.htm
        > >
        > > Calvin strongly recommended the Hugenots use it.
        > >
        > > Patrick/Whit
      • thebishopsdoom
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 16, 2002
          <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
          "> Thanks for the link to the additional tokens (I didn't know that
          > other Reformeds used them, but it is very good to know)."

          Calvin pushed for communion tokens as an expedient adiaphora
          (circumstance, not regarded as worship) to ensure proper "fencing" of
          the Lord's table, so elders would know who had or had not been
          admitted to communion already. I have heard he got the idea from
          mention of such a practice in the early church, but I don't know
          where he was said to have found the reference. I don't know how
          widespread the tokens took ground, but France and Scotland had
          definitely adopted the practice, the latter so much so that many
          think it is a Scottish distinctive. However, other denominations,
          such as the methodists also employed the use of communion tokens.

          ">Do any
          > churches still use them today?"

          A former professor told me, o, maybe near a year ago that he's been
          to a presbyterian church in Nova Scotia (as of recent years) where
          they were using communion tokens, because he asked if I had ever
          heard of the practice. He didn't know the specific denomination. I
          don't know (or if I do, I don't recall offhand) who else is actually
          using tokens. However, there are yet a number of presbyterian
          churches (but by no means the majority of them, even if you exclude
          the more liberal presbyterians like the PCUSA) that still require an
          interview for admission to communion, whether they use tokens to help
          them ensure the fencing of the table to allow only those who have
          been admitted or not.

          -thebishopsdoom
        • christ_saves_sinners
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 10, 2002
            CL: So tell us, Shawn, is the RPNA the only "true church" and thus
            the "most faithful church," while all other churches make up
            the "disobedient church" and those who attend them are "in sin?" If
            not, would name the "other" true churches and most faithful churches?

            S: Let me begin by stating that I am in agreement with our
            Confession, where it states (25.5): "V. The purest Churches under
            heaven are subject both to mixture and error: and some have so
            degenerated as to become apparently no Churches of Christ.
            Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth, to worship God
            according to his will."

            We are not the "only true church". I think you are speaking as to
            BEING, which I have said a lot about already, as does elder Barrow's
            book.

            I would say that we maintain that we are the "most faithful church"
            in the British Isles, and those whom are the posterity of them, as
            far as we know. I would also think that all other denominations would
            hold to this distinction as well, though it usually is an implicit,
            or unexpressed term of their communion and fellowship.

            As for the "disobedient churches", I am not aware of any that
            explicitly come out and say, we would rather disobey Christ and
            remain separate for unbiblical reasons.

            I do not know of any other Presbyterian denominations that hold to
            our Terms of Communion. And seeing that our Terms are in agreement
            with the Word of God, they are what I have to compare other Church's
            Terms of Communion with. If there was a denomination with Terms more
            faithful to the Scriptures, then I would adopt them, as I know our
            Presbytery would seek to do as well. So at this point I would have to
            say that in the British Isles, North America, or any Presbyterian
            body on earth that has maintained it's historical faithfulness.

            Here are our Temrs of Communion:
            1. An acknowledgement of the Old and New Testament to be the word of
            God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

            2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
            and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
            founded upon the Scriptures.

            3. That Presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
            alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect
            model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of
            Government and Directory for Worship, adopted by the Church of
            Scotland in the Second Reformation.

            4. That public, social covenanting is an ordinance of God, obligatory
            on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National
            Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine
            institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon
            the moral person; and in consistency with this, that the Renovation
            of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, Scotland, 1712, was agreeable to
            the word of God.

            5. An approbation of the faithful contending of the martyrs of Jesus,
            especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy
            and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and
            persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony
            emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761 with
            supplements from the Reformed Presbyterian Church; as containing a
            noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and
            in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions
            of either churches or states.

            6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Saviour by walking in
            all His commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

            cont'd....
          • Glenn Ferrell
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
              I know they may be found online.  However, for discussion sake, could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

              Glenn

              ________________________________________________________ J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho ________________________________________________________
              “To suppose that whatever God requireth of us  that we have the power of ourselves to do,  is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect.”            -John Owen (1616-1683) ________________________________________________________
            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                Sure thing, Glenn.

                The Six Terms of Communion:

                1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

                2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith, and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and founded upon, the Scriptures.

                3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second Reformation.

                4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God, obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to the word of God.

                5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761, and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of either churches or states.

                6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

                gmw.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                  By terms of communion, am I to understand:

                  1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church?

                  2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms?

                  One, two or both?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                    I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)":  How do you interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League and Covenant?  I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested in hearing what you all think.  Argument #1 - The wording means that we are bound by the SL&C.  Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty to publicly and socially covenant.  This is not indicative of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.  Thank you.
                    ~Samantha

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
                      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

                      > By terms of communion, am I to understand:
                      >
                      > 1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive
                      communion in a Covenanter church?

                      > 2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that
                      did not also affirm all six of these terms?

                      > One, two or both?

                      Glenn,

                      My understanding is that historically the Reformed Presbyterian Church
                      explicitly defined their denomination by their terms of communion. In
                      the Reformation Principles Exhibited, the Reformed Presbyterians
                      "condemn the following errors, and testify against all who maintain
                      them" --

                      "5. That it is lawful for the Church to be without any terms of
                      Christian communion."

                      "6. That any person may be admitted to communion, who opposes any of
                      the terms of Church-fellowship." [I believe this may correspond to
                      your 1) above].

                      "7. That occasional communion may be extended to persons who should
                      not be received to constant fellowship." [I believe that this
                      principle being applied both ways, can correspond in some way to your
                      2) above].

                      I hope my answer is satisfactory and helpful. Sadly, those who are
                      more learned and far better qualified than me to answer these types of
                      questions, tend not to do so much anymore -- at least not in this forum.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
                        <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                        > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                        this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                        interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                        and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                        in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                        we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating
                        that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty
                        to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative of my
                        position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.

                        Samantha,

                        To me, it's important to identify what you mean by "we" when you say
                        "the wording means that WE are bound by the SL&C." Do you mean we as
                        Reformed Presbyterians, we as Canadians/Americans/Australians or
                        whatever, we as Scots, English, Irish?

                        To start, I will say that the 4th term is very clear that the National
                        and Solemn League, along with the Auch. Renovation, are indeed
                        examples of our duty. That part is clear. It's the part about those
                        Covenants being obligatory on the moral person that is the issue. I
                        don't think the continued obligation of the nations of England,
                        Ireland, and Scotland are in question, so I shall pass over those for
                        now.

                        What often comes up is whether or not the "daughter nations" of
                        England are also of continued obligation. Being an arrogant American
                        who has not bothered to study much about the nation of Canada, I would
                        be foolish to get too much into particulars about that country.

                        But concerning the United States, matters are admittedly complicated
                        by the fact that there was a rebellion of several states, which then
                        united into a new nation with a new government. I'm frankly undecided
                        about whether or not the USA is federally/nationally under obligation
                        to the SL&C in any similar sense that England, Ireland and Scotland are.

                        I will say this about the National Covenant -- being a covenant of the
                        Scottish Nation, and the USA being a daughter of England and not of
                        Scotland, is NOT (in my estimation) binding on the USA.

                        Concerning the SL&C in relation to the USA, seemingly differing
                        aspects are addressed within Reformed Presbyterian literature. The
                        Reformed Presbytery did wrote an overture on Covenanting in which they
                        pointed out that "The colonies, at the time of entering into the
                        Solemn League and Covenant, were an integral part of the British
                        nation. They held their lands under the crown, and were governed by
                        deputies of the throne, whom they acknowledged as their governors" and
                        that the Colonists insisted upon their rights as British citizens.
                        This is something to consider... and it speaks of what the Colonies
                        SHOULD HAVE DONE in regard to the Covenants of the mother land.

                        However, I also find that Samuel Wylie in the great work The Two Sons
                        of Oil puts forth several reasons why Reformed Presbyterians cannot be
                        loyal to the United States government -- rather than arguing that "the
                        USA is a covenant breaking nation that ought not to be countenanced,"
                        he argues more along the lines that we Reformed Presbyterians (at that
                        time, still profoundly Scottish in nationality, btw) are obligated to
                        covenants that do not allow for us to be loyal to anything against
                        those covenants.

                        Maybe I'm not helping much. All of this is to say that I think we as
                        Reformed Presbyterians ought to view Term #4 to certainly mean that
                        Covenanting is a gospel ordinance, that the National and Solemn League
                        and Covenant are great examples of Covenanting (as is the Renovation),
                        and that those who were represented in the taking of the Covenant are
                        still bound by it. I believe this means the nations of England,
                        Ireland, and Scotland. I believe it means we as RP's (so far as it
                        concerns those duties not circumstantial to the British Isles). I
                        believe it means Scottish immigrants, English, Irish immigrants
                        (again, so long as this is understood as relating to those obligations
                        not unique to the British Isles). Whether or not it means the USA as
                        a national entity, you may get a different answer from me two days in
                        a row.

                        gmw.
                      • truepresbyterian
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                          Dear Mr. Ferrell,

                          As for number 1: "One must affirm all six of these before he is
                          allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church." This is implied
                          by what is meant. The word "Communion" can refer to an ecclesiastical
                          communion, that is, a church body; or it can refer to the Lord's
                          Supper. The Terms of Communion are conditions for joining and
                          remaining part of the Communion. Consequently, they are also
                          conditions for taking part in Communion. What the Lord's Supper
                          signifies is more important than the Lord's Supper itself. It would
                          only be legalistic hypocrisy if we guarded a ceremony more than we
                          guarded the reality it signifies.

                          As for number 2: "A Covenanter would not receive communion in a
                          congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms."
                          Incorrect. It does mean that a Covenanter will not receive communion
                          or re-unite in communion with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church
                          (RPCNA, etc.) until it returns to the original RP Terms of Communion.
                          Until then such "Reformed Presbyterian" Churches are guilty of
                          backsliding and defection. We will not join them in that course. But
                          we will receive communion in any congregation with which we can join
                          in membership as part of their ecclesiastical community.

                          We will receive communion in any faithful, scriptural church, teaching
                          true doctrine, practicing true worship, excercising biblical
                          discipline (which will affect their Terms of Communion.) We do not
                          pretend that the deed at Auchensaugh, done by a small, (but faithful,)
                          fellowship of Christians, of itself obliges anyone outside that
                          communion. But note that our Terms of Communion only require that one
                          recognize that the Renovation was "agreeable to the word of God." We
                          would expect other faithful Presbyterians to agree to this if they
                          examined the deed. And as for the Covenants, we do not imagine that
                          they oblige any outside the ecclesiastical and civil bodies, as well
                          as private families and individuals represented by them. A faithful
                          Church could form without any knowledge of them. But, for those civil
                          and ecclesiastic bodies, and families and individuals, who are bound,
                          we have a duty to prosecute the ends of these Covenants wherever we
                          are. If joining a Church would mean violating these Covenants, then
                          the rule against occasional hearing necessitates that we abstain from
                          using any ministerial ordinances from such ecclesiastical communions.

                          Of course, the practical realities are, that there is no
                          non-Reformed-Presbyterian church that any Covenanter has ever seen
                          which adheres to such principles and practices as Covenanters can
                          approve. And while hypothetical situations can be proposed where a
                          Church might take existence on a footing that is Scriptural, in the
                          Covenanter sense, and yet historically unrelated to the Covenanter
                          Church of Scotland, certain realities lead us away from expecting
                          this. For one thing, (as I recently said to someone else,) true
                          Christians love Church history. If someone comes to believe in the
                          regulative principle of worship, and the duty of dissenting from the
                          authority of the US and other "governments" as having only the "power"
                          and "authority" mentioned in Rev. 13.2 (and not that in Rom. 13,) then
                          that person is going to want to know about the other Christians in
                          history who agreed with him. We expect therefore that the faithful
                          Christians and pastors scattered here and there, who are by God's
                          grace brought to believe the truths of the Reformation, will seek
                          association with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church, and find therein
                          standards of doctrine and practice that they can approve.

                          If they can draft a Confession of Faith better than the Westminster
                          Confession, we will be glad to see it in a list of Terms of Communion.
                          Perhaps some people think there are better Confessions. At this point
                          however, Covenanters are not persuaded that the world has ever seen a
                          better Confession. But we will be as happy as anyone else when that
                          day comes.

                          So, in summary, to answer your questions:

                          Technically:
                          1. Yes, and it means something more general too.
                          2. No.

                          Practically:
                          1. Yes.
                          2. Yes, for now.

                          I hope these considerations are helpful to you, and to other well
                          meaning Covenanters who may have been misled about some of these things.

                          True Presbyterian

                          covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

                          > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:08 PM
                          > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion
                          >

                          > Sure thing, Glenn.
                          >
                          > The Six Terms of Communion:
                          >
                          > 1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word
                          of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

                          > 2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
                          and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
                          founded upon, the Scriptures.

                          > 3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
                          alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model
                          of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and
                          Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second
                          Reformation.

                          > 4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God,
                          obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the
                          National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this
                          divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation
                          upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the
                          Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to
                          the word of God.

                          > 5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of
                          Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy,
                          Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian
                          tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial
                          Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761,
                          and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble
                          example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in
                          testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of
                          either churches or states.

                          > 6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking
                          in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

                          > gmw.
                          >
                          > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                          >
                          > I know they may be found online. However, for discussion sake,
                          could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

                          > Glenn
                          >
                          > ________________________________________________________ J.
                          Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise,
                          Idaho ________________________________________________________
                          > "To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have the
                          power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus
                          Christ of none effect." -John Owen (1616-1683)

                        • Whit R
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 15, 2007
                            My interpretatio of the 4th Term of Communion is that we are to bound
                            to obey God through the Scriptural principles of Covenant and that it
                            is binding upon the Three Kingdoms and their current and former
                            colonies. Since it is a Scirptural Covenant, then no one except God
                            can annul or release obligation to the Covenant (Gal. 3:14-18). In
                            short, Argument #1 moreso although Argument #2 also applies since
                            covenanting is a solemn duty.

                            Whit
                            <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                            > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                            this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                            interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                            and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                            in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                            we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply
                            stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of
                            our duty to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative
                            of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have
                            heard. Thank you.
                            > ~Samantha

                            align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                            > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                            > font-weight:bold;}
                            > #ygrp-vital a {
                            > text-decoration:none;}
                            >
                            > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                            > text-decoration:underline;}
                            >
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                            > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                            > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                            > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                            > padding:8px 0;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                            size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                            > text-decoration:none;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                            > text-decoration:underline;}
                            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                            > margin:0;}
                            > o {font-size:0;}
                            > .MsoNormal {
                            > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                            > #ygrp-text tt{
                            > font-size:120%;}
                            > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                            > .replbq {margin:4;}
                            > -->
                            >

                            > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                            junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                            http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca