Terms of Communion

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 6, 2002
      I was doing research on my Hugenot ancestors, and I found something
      that might help regarding Closed Communion and Terms of Communion.
      It is called the Meareaux, a coin-sized token that was given to those
      who qualified for admission to the Lord's Table and was refused to
      those under discipline:

      http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/mer-e.htm

      Calvin strongly recommended the Hugenots use it.

      Patrick/Whit
    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2002
        Thanks for the link, Patrick! You can take a peek at some communion
        tokens used at Rev. John Brown's congregation at the top of the page
        at http://www.covenanter.org/LordsSupper/holycommunion.htm

        Also, go to http://www.bottles.freeserve.co.uk/scottish.htm and
        scroll down to communion tokens. You can view some pics of them
        there.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
        <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
        > I was doing research on my Hugenot ancestors, and I found something
        > that might help regarding Closed Communion and Terms of Communion.
        > It is called the Meareaux, a coin-sized token that was given to
        those
        > who qualified for admission to the Lord's Table and was refused to
        > those under discipline:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/mer-e.htm
        >
        > Calvin strongly recommended the Hugenots use it.
        >
        > Patrick/Whit
      • seamrog1935
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2002
          Thanks for the link to the additional tokens (I didn't know that
          other Reformeds used them, but it is very good to know). Do any
          churches still use them today?

          Patrick
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
          <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the link, Patrick! You can take a peek at some
          communion
          > tokens used at Rev. John Brown's congregation at the top of the
          page
          > at http://www.covenanter.org/LordsSupper/holycommunion.htm
          >
          > Also, go to http://www.bottles.freeserve.co.uk/scottish.htm and
          > scroll down to communion tokens. You can view some pics of them
          > there.
          >
          > gmw.
          >
          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
          > <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
          > > I was doing research on my Hugenot ancestors, and I found
          something
          > > that might help regarding Closed Communion and Terms of
          Communion.
          > > It is called the Meareaux, a coin-sized token that was given to
          > those
          > > who qualified for admission to the Lord's Table and was refused
          > > those under discipline:
          > >
          > > http://www.geocities.com/hugenoteblad/mer-e.htm
          > >
          > > Calvin strongly recommended the Hugenots use it.
          > >
          > > Patrick/Whit
        • thebishopsdoom
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 16, 2002
            <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
            "> Thanks for the link to the additional tokens (I didn't know that
            > other Reformeds used them, but it is very good to know)."

            Calvin pushed for communion tokens as an expedient adiaphora
            (circumstance, not regarded as worship) to ensure proper "fencing" of
            the Lord's table, so elders would know who had or had not been
            admitted to communion already. I have heard he got the idea from
            mention of such a practice in the early church, but I don't know
            where he was said to have found the reference. I don't know how
            widespread the tokens took ground, but France and Scotland had
            definitely adopted the practice, the latter so much so that many
            think it is a Scottish distinctive. However, other denominations,
            such as the methodists also employed the use of communion tokens.

            ">Do any
            > churches still use them today?"

            A former professor told me, o, maybe near a year ago that he's been
            to a presbyterian church in Nova Scotia (as of recent years) where
            they were using communion tokens, because he asked if I had ever
            heard of the practice. He didn't know the specific denomination. I
            don't know (or if I do, I don't recall offhand) who else is actually
            using tokens. However, there are yet a number of presbyterian
            churches (but by no means the majority of them, even if you exclude
            the more liberal presbyterians like the PCUSA) that still require an
            interview for admission to communion, whether they use tokens to help
            them ensure the fencing of the table to allow only those who have
            been admitted or not.

            -thebishopsdoom
          • christ_saves_sinners
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 10 10:10 AM
              CL: So tell us, Shawn, is the RPNA the only "true church" and thus
              the "most faithful church," while all other churches make up
              the "disobedient church" and those who attend them are "in sin?" If
              not, would name the "other" true churches and most faithful churches?

              S: Let me begin by stating that I am in agreement with our
              Confession, where it states (25.5): "V. The purest Churches under
              heaven are subject both to mixture and error: and some have so
              degenerated as to become apparently no Churches of Christ.
              Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth, to worship God
              according to his will."

              We are not the "only true church". I think you are speaking as to
              BEING, which I have said a lot about already, as does elder Barrow's
              book.

              I would say that we maintain that we are the "most faithful church"
              in the British Isles, and those whom are the posterity of them, as
              far as we know. I would also think that all other denominations would
              hold to this distinction as well, though it usually is an implicit,
              or unexpressed term of their communion and fellowship.

              As for the "disobedient churches", I am not aware of any that
              explicitly come out and say, we would rather disobey Christ and
              remain separate for unbiblical reasons.

              I do not know of any other Presbyterian denominations that hold to
              our Terms of Communion. And seeing that our Terms are in agreement
              with the Word of God, they are what I have to compare other Church's
              Terms of Communion with. If there was a denomination with Terms more
              faithful to the Scriptures, then I would adopt them, as I know our
              Presbytery would seek to do as well. So at this point I would have to
              say that in the British Isles, North America, or any Presbyterian
              body on earth that has maintained it's historical faithfulness.

              Here are our Temrs of Communion:
              1. An acknowledgement of the Old and New Testament to be the word of
              God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

              2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
              and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
              founded upon the Scriptures.

              3. That Presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
              alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect
              model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of
              Government and Directory for Worship, adopted by the Church of
              Scotland in the Second Reformation.

              4. That public, social covenanting is an ordinance of God, obligatory
              on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National
              Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine
              institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon
              the moral person; and in consistency with this, that the Renovation
              of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, Scotland, 1712, was agreeable to
              the word of God.

              5. An approbation of the faithful contending of the martyrs of Jesus,
              especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy
              and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and
              persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony
              emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761 with
              supplements from the Reformed Presbyterian Church; as containing a
              noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and
              in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions
              of either churches or states.

              6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Saviour by walking in
              all His commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

              cont'd....
            • Glenn Ferrell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                I know they may be found online.  However, for discussion sake, could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

                Glenn

                ________________________________________________________ J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho ________________________________________________________
                “To suppose that whatever God requireth of us  that we have the power of ourselves to do,  is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect.”            -John Owen (1616-1683) ________________________________________________________
              • Jerry
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Sure thing, Glenn.

                  The Six Terms of Communion:

                  1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

                  2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith, and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and founded upon, the Scriptures.

                  3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second Reformation.

                  4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God, obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to the word of God.

                  5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761, and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of either churches or states.

                  6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

                  gmw.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                    By terms of communion, am I to understand:

                    1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church?

                    2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms?

                    One, two or both?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                      I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)":  How do you interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League and Covenant?  I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested in hearing what you all think.  Argument #1 - The wording means that we are bound by the SL&C.  Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty to publicly and socially covenant.  This is not indicative of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.  Thank you.
                      ~Samantha

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
                        <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

                        > By terms of communion, am I to understand:
                        >
                        > 1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive
                        communion in a Covenanter church?

                        > 2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that
                        did not also affirm all six of these terms?

                        > One, two or both?

                        Glenn,

                        My understanding is that historically the Reformed Presbyterian Church
                        explicitly defined their denomination by their terms of communion. In
                        the Reformation Principles Exhibited, the Reformed Presbyterians
                        "condemn the following errors, and testify against all who maintain
                        them" --

                        "5. That it is lawful for the Church to be without any terms of
                        Christian communion."

                        "6. That any person may be admitted to communion, who opposes any of
                        the terms of Church-fellowship." [I believe this may correspond to
                        your 1) above].

                        "7. That occasional communion may be extended to persons who should
                        not be received to constant fellowship." [I believe that this
                        principle being applied both ways, can correspond in some way to your
                        2) above].

                        I hope my answer is satisfactory and helpful. Sadly, those who are
                        more learned and far better qualified than me to answer these types of
                        questions, tend not to do so much anymore -- at least not in this forum.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
                          <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                          > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                          this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                          interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                          and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                          in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                          we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating
                          that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty
                          to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative of my
                          position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.

                          Samantha,

                          To me, it's important to identify what you mean by "we" when you say
                          "the wording means that WE are bound by the SL&C." Do you mean we as
                          Reformed Presbyterians, we as Canadians/Americans/Australians or
                          whatever, we as Scots, English, Irish?

                          To start, I will say that the 4th term is very clear that the National
                          and Solemn League, along with the Auch. Renovation, are indeed
                          examples of our duty. That part is clear. It's the part about those
                          Covenants being obligatory on the moral person that is the issue. I
                          don't think the continued obligation of the nations of England,
                          Ireland, and Scotland are in question, so I shall pass over those for
                          now.

                          What often comes up is whether or not the "daughter nations" of
                          England are also of continued obligation. Being an arrogant American
                          who has not bothered to study much about the nation of Canada, I would
                          be foolish to get too much into particulars about that country.

                          But concerning the United States, matters are admittedly complicated
                          by the fact that there was a rebellion of several states, which then
                          united into a new nation with a new government. I'm frankly undecided
                          about whether or not the USA is federally/nationally under obligation
                          to the SL&C in any similar sense that England, Ireland and Scotland are.

                          I will say this about the National Covenant -- being a covenant of the
                          Scottish Nation, and the USA being a daughter of England and not of
                          Scotland, is NOT (in my estimation) binding on the USA.

                          Concerning the SL&C in relation to the USA, seemingly differing
                          aspects are addressed within Reformed Presbyterian literature. The
                          Reformed Presbytery did wrote an overture on Covenanting in which they
                          pointed out that "The colonies, at the time of entering into the
                          Solemn League and Covenant, were an integral part of the British
                          nation. They held their lands under the crown, and were governed by
                          deputies of the throne, whom they acknowledged as their governors" and
                          that the Colonists insisted upon their rights as British citizens.
                          This is something to consider... and it speaks of what the Colonies
                          SHOULD HAVE DONE in regard to the Covenants of the mother land.

                          However, I also find that Samuel Wylie in the great work The Two Sons
                          of Oil puts forth several reasons why Reformed Presbyterians cannot be
                          loyal to the United States government -- rather than arguing that "the
                          USA is a covenant breaking nation that ought not to be countenanced,"
                          he argues more along the lines that we Reformed Presbyterians (at that
                          time, still profoundly Scottish in nationality, btw) are obligated to
                          covenants that do not allow for us to be loyal to anything against
                          those covenants.

                          Maybe I'm not helping much. All of this is to say that I think we as
                          Reformed Presbyterians ought to view Term #4 to certainly mean that
                          Covenanting is a gospel ordinance, that the National and Solemn League
                          and Covenant are great examples of Covenanting (as is the Renovation),
                          and that those who were represented in the taking of the Covenant are
                          still bound by it. I believe this means the nations of England,
                          Ireland, and Scotland. I believe it means we as RP's (so far as it
                          concerns those duties not circumstantial to the British Isles). I
                          believe it means Scottish immigrants, English, Irish immigrants
                          (again, so long as this is understood as relating to those obligations
                          not unique to the British Isles). Whether or not it means the USA as
                          a national entity, you may get a different answer from me two days in
                          a row.

                          gmw.
                        • truepresbyterian
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                            Dear Mr. Ferrell,

                            As for number 1: "One must affirm all six of these before he is
                            allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church." This is implied
                            by what is meant. The word "Communion" can refer to an ecclesiastical
                            communion, that is, a church body; or it can refer to the Lord's
                            Supper. The Terms of Communion are conditions for joining and
                            remaining part of the Communion. Consequently, they are also
                            conditions for taking part in Communion. What the Lord's Supper
                            signifies is more important than the Lord's Supper itself. It would
                            only be legalistic hypocrisy if we guarded a ceremony more than we
                            guarded the reality it signifies.

                            As for number 2: "A Covenanter would not receive communion in a
                            congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms."
                            Incorrect. It does mean that a Covenanter will not receive communion
                            or re-unite in communion with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church
                            (RPCNA, etc.) until it returns to the original RP Terms of Communion.
                            Until then such "Reformed Presbyterian" Churches are guilty of
                            backsliding and defection. We will not join them in that course. But
                            we will receive communion in any congregation with which we can join
                            in membership as part of their ecclesiastical community.

                            We will receive communion in any faithful, scriptural church, teaching
                            true doctrine, practicing true worship, excercising biblical
                            discipline (which will affect their Terms of Communion.) We do not
                            pretend that the deed at Auchensaugh, done by a small, (but faithful,)
                            fellowship of Christians, of itself obliges anyone outside that
                            communion. But note that our Terms of Communion only require that one
                            recognize that the Renovation was "agreeable to the word of God." We
                            would expect other faithful Presbyterians to agree to this if they
                            examined the deed. And as for the Covenants, we do not imagine that
                            they oblige any outside the ecclesiastical and civil bodies, as well
                            as private families and individuals represented by them. A faithful
                            Church could form without any knowledge of them. But, for those civil
                            and ecclesiastic bodies, and families and individuals, who are bound,
                            we have a duty to prosecute the ends of these Covenants wherever we
                            are. If joining a Church would mean violating these Covenants, then
                            the rule against occasional hearing necessitates that we abstain from
                            using any ministerial ordinances from such ecclesiastical communions.

                            Of course, the practical realities are, that there is no
                            non-Reformed-Presbyterian church that any Covenanter has ever seen
                            which adheres to such principles and practices as Covenanters can
                            approve. And while hypothetical situations can be proposed where a
                            Church might take existence on a footing that is Scriptural, in the
                            Covenanter sense, and yet historically unrelated to the Covenanter
                            Church of Scotland, certain realities lead us away from expecting
                            this. For one thing, (as I recently said to someone else,) true
                            Christians love Church history. If someone comes to believe in the
                            regulative principle of worship, and the duty of dissenting from the
                            authority of the US and other "governments" as having only the "power"
                            and "authority" mentioned in Rev. 13.2 (and not that in Rom. 13,) then
                            that person is going to want to know about the other Christians in
                            history who agreed with him. We expect therefore that the faithful
                            Christians and pastors scattered here and there, who are by God's
                            grace brought to believe the truths of the Reformation, will seek
                            association with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church, and find therein
                            standards of doctrine and practice that they can approve.

                            If they can draft a Confession of Faith better than the Westminster
                            Confession, we will be glad to see it in a list of Terms of Communion.
                            Perhaps some people think there are better Confessions. At this point
                            however, Covenanters are not persuaded that the world has ever seen a
                            better Confession. But we will be as happy as anyone else when that
                            day comes.

                            So, in summary, to answer your questions:

                            Technically:
                            1. Yes, and it means something more general too.
                            2. No.

                            Practically:
                            1. Yes.
                            2. Yes, for now.

                            I hope these considerations are helpful to you, and to other well
                            meaning Covenanters who may have been misled about some of these things.

                            True Presbyterian

                            covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

                            > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:08 PM
                            > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion
                            >

                            > Sure thing, Glenn.
                            >
                            > The Six Terms of Communion:
                            >
                            > 1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word
                            of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

                            > 2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
                            and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
                            founded upon, the Scriptures.

                            > 3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
                            alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model
                            of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and
                            Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second
                            Reformation.

                            > 4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God,
                            obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the
                            National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this
                            divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation
                            upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the
                            Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to
                            the word of God.

                            > 5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of
                            Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy,
                            Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian
                            tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial
                            Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761,
                            and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble
                            example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in
                            testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of
                            either churches or states.

                            > 6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking
                            in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

                            > gmw.
                            >
                            > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                            >
                            > I know they may be found online. However, for discussion sake,
                            could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

                            > Glenn
                            >
                            > ________________________________________________________ J.
                            Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise,
                            Idaho ________________________________________________________
                            > "To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have the
                            power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus
                            Christ of none effect." -John Owen (1616-1683)

                          • Whit R
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 15, 2007
                              My interpretatio of the 4th Term of Communion is that we are to bound
                              to obey God through the Scriptural principles of Covenant and that it
                              is binding upon the Three Kingdoms and their current and former
                              colonies. Since it is a Scirptural Covenant, then no one except God
                              can annul or release obligation to the Covenant (Gal. 3:14-18). In
                              short, Argument #1 moreso although Argument #2 also applies since
                              covenanting is a solemn duty.

                              Whit
                              <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                              > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                              this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                              interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                              and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                              in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                              we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply
                              stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of
                              our duty to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative
                              of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have
                              heard. Thank you.
                              > ~Samantha

                              align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                              > font-weight:bold;}
                              > #ygrp-vital a {
                              > text-decoration:none;}
                              >
                              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                              > text-decoration:underline;}
                              >
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                              > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                              > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                              > padding:8px 0;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                              size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                              > text-decoration:none;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                              > text-decoration:underline;}
                              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                              > margin:0;}
                              > o {font-size:0;}
                              > .MsoNormal {
                              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                              > #ygrp-text tt{
                              > font-size:120%;}
                              > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                              > .replbq {margin:4;}
                              > -->
                              >

                              > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                              junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                              http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca