Re: Did someone call me a redneck?

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
      We're quite colorful! First True Blue, and now Redneck? Hmm...

      gmw.
    • seamrog1935
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
        Mr. Wilkerson is right about the Irish then he got to Covenanter
        history, which I think he seemingly butchered.

        Whit/Patrick
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., thebishopsdoom <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm not pasing this along because I think its true, but because it
        > is, well, just... too bizarre!
        > And you just might find out, that you might be...

        > SCOTTISH HILLBILLIES AND REDNECKS?
        > By Todd J. Wilkinson
        > Vice-President, Celtic Society of the Ozarks
        > Many words commonly used in America today have their origins in our
        > Celtic roots. While the following terms are associated today with
        the
        > American South and southern culture, their origins are distinctly
        > Scottish and Ulster-Scottish (Scots-Irish), and date to the mass
        > immigration of Scottish Lowland and Ulster Presbyterians to America
        > during the 1700's.
        > HILLBILLY
        > The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the
        Ozarks
        > and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often
        > incorrectly labeled "Scots-Irish") settlers in the
        > hill-country of
        > Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new
        > world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William,
        Prince
        > of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart
        > family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.
        > Supporters of King William were known as "Orangemen" and
        > "Billy Boys"
        > and their North American counterparts were soon referred to
        as "hill-
        > billies". It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the
        > Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, "Hurrah!
        > Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!" and shares its tune with the famous
        > American Civil War song, "Marching Through Georgia".
        > REDNECK
        > The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of
        the
        > National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant,
        > or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would
        > flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by
        > the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the
        > documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form
        of
        > church government and would not accept the Church of England as its
        > official state church.
        > Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of
        > cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the
        term "Red
        > neck", which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish
        > immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian
        > minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red
        > clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?
        > Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the
        South)
        > were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later,
        > their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use
        > comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name
        > bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the
        > originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the
        > term's origins?
        >
        > -thebishopsdoom
        >
        > (Oh, and for the terminally curious who feel they absolutely have
        > know, according to wordorigins.org:
        > "Redneck dates to 1830, when it was first used to denote the
        > Presbyterians of Fayetteville. The significance of the name is
        > somewhat obscure. Three explanations are commonly offered. First,
        it
        > could be a reference to a ruddy neck caused by anger. Second, it
        > could be a reference to sunburned necks caused by working in the
        > fields all day. Finally, it could be a reference to pellagra which
        > turns the neck red.
        > There is also a tale in which it referred to striking coal miners
        > tale who wore red bandannas a means of group identification. This
        is
        > unlikely due to what we know of its origin. The sunburn or pellagra
        > explanation seems more likely than the anger one.
        > Interestingly, the Afrikaans Rooinek, which literally means
        redneck,
        > is a disparaging term the Boers used to apply to the British and
        > later became associated with any European immigrant to South
        Africa.")