Did someone call me a redneck?

  • thebishopsdoom
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
      I'm not pasing this along because I think its true, but because it
      is, well, just... too bizarre!
      And you just might find out, that you might be...

      SCOTTISH HILLBILLIES AND REDNECKS?
      By Todd J. Wilkinson
      Vice-President, Celtic Society of the Ozarks
      Many words commonly used in America today have their origins in our
      Celtic roots. While the following terms are associated today with the
      American South and southern culture, their origins are distinctly
      Scottish and Ulster-Scottish (Scots-Irish), and date to the mass
      immigration of Scottish Lowland and Ulster Presbyterians to America
      during the 1700's.
      HILLBILLY
      The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks
      and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often
      incorrectly labeled "Scots-Irish") settlers in the
      hill-country of
      Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new
      world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince
      of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart
      family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.
      Supporters of King William were known as "Orangemen" and
      "Billy Boys"
      and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as "hill-
      billies". It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the
      Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, "Hurrah!
      Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!" and shares its tune with the famous
      American Civil War song, "Marching Through Georgia".
      REDNECK
      The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the
      National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant,
      or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would
      flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by
      the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the
      documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of
      church government and would not accept the Church of England as its
      official state church.
      Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of
      cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red
      neck", which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish
      immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian
      minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red
      clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?
      Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South)
      were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later,
      their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use
      comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was a "name
      bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the
      originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the
      term's origins?

      -thebishopsdoom

      (Oh, and for the terminally curious who feel they absolutely have to
      know, according to wordorigins.org:
      "Redneck dates to 1830, when it was first used to denote the
      Presbyterians of Fayetteville. The significance of the name is
      somewhat obscure. Three explanations are commonly offered. First, it
      could be a reference to a ruddy neck caused by anger. Second, it
      could be a reference to sunburned necks caused by working in the
      fields all day. Finally, it could be a reference to pellagra which
      turns the neck red.
      There is also a tale in which it referred to striking coal miners
      tale who wore red bandannas a means of group identification. This is
      unlikely due to what we know of its origin. The sunburn or pellagra
      explanation seems more likely than the anger one.
      Interestingly, the Afrikaans Rooinek, which literally means redneck,
      is a disparaging term the Boers used to apply to the British and
      later became associated with any European immigrant to South Africa.")
    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
        We're quite colorful! First True Blue, and now Redneck? Hmm...

        gmw.
      • seamrog1935
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
          Mr. Wilkerson is right about the Irish then he got to Covenanter
          history, which I think he seemingly butchered.

          Whit/Patrick
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., thebishopsdoom <no_reply@y...>