Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] swartzentruber's

  • knoxknoxwhosthere
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
      Dear Jasper,

      I just spent the better part of the afternoon reading through this
      website. Man... They could give Pharisees lessons in legalism. It
      is especially maddening to read about the various types of abuses
      that occur and the immunity that these people receive from the civil
      magistrate for gross forms of abuse. It sure paints a different
      picture of the Amish lifestyle than we are usually presented with.

      Cheryl

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "jasperh98" <jasperh98@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey here is another sorta interesting link
      > http://www.amishabuse.com/Ordnung.htm
    • Jasper Wall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
        Hi Cheryl,
        the public perception of the Amish is correct in some
        areas and skewed in other areas. This particular sect,
        the Swartzentruber's, is one of the strictest in their
        legalism and lifestyle. I recently made some light
        humor here in regard to this sect, but really there's
        nothing funny about their legalism and its effect on
        people. May our Lord bless you, Cheryl.
        -Jasper

        --- knoxknoxwhosthere <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        wrote:
        > Dear Jasper,
        >
        > I just spent the better part of the afternoon
        > reading through this
        > website. Man... They could give Pharisees lessons
        > in legalism. It
        > is especially maddening to read about the various
        > types of abuses
        > that occur and the immunity that these people
        > receive from the civil
        > magistrate for gross forms of abuse. It sure paints
        > a different
        > picture of the Amish lifestyle than we are usually
        > presented with.
        >
        > Cheryl
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "jasperh98"
        > <jasperh98@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hey here is another sorta interesting link
        > > http://www.amishabuse.com/Ordnung.htm

        =====
        �For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes�
        -John 5:21

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • raging_calvinist
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
          The Amish are a strange breed, indeed. I've eaten in Amish homes.
          I've been to their market places. I've even been on a horse and
          buggy ride. And in some sense they are like all other groups: Some
          of them are the nicest, kindest, most generous people you'll meet,
          and some of them are incredibly rude and just plain foul.

          I once spoke with an Amish man who was handicapped (he was a dwarf
          who was wheelchair bound). According to his report, he was outcasted
          by his society. They told him that his handicap was due to his
          being "far from God." Yeah.... maybe THAT'S what caused his handicap
          and not the incestual inbreeding committed by the "godly" in his
          society.