Re: [Covenanted Reformation Club] swartzentruber's

  • Soles
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "jasperh98" <jasperh98@...>
      To: <covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 9:32 AM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation Club] swartzentruber's

      > Interesting news story on religious freedom
      > http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html
      > _standard.xsl?/base/news/1022232745232710.xml
      >
      > (you may have to copy & paste the link)
      >

      > Jerry, was that You in the back of the courtroom?
      > :)
      >
      > -jasper

      Hello Jasper,

      I tried to find the story, what day was it up and the title?

      What I did see was many stories of teens hitting trees, women driving off of
      curves and some even into houses are the roads that bad down there or just
      the drivers that careless....what was the story about?

      Curious, and would like to know, what the religious freedom was about..

      Thanks,

      ~Cathie~
    • Jasper Wall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
        Hi Cathie !

        Apparently that link is no longer supported......but I
        found another one that still works!! Here it is

        http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSLaw0204/11_amish-ap.html

        (shorter to boot !)

        Interesting story, let me know what you think.

        As far as our drivers here, maybe some of those
        accidents were people dodging the buggies.

        -Jasper

        > > Interesting news story on religious freedom

        http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html
        > > _standard.xsl?/base/news/1022232745232710.xml
        > >
        > > (you may have to copy & paste the link)
        > >

        > > Jerry, was that You in the back of the courtroom?
        > > :)
        > >
        > > -jasper
        > >

        > Hello Jasper,
        >
        > I tried to find the story, what day was it up and
        > the title?
        >
        > What I did see was many stories of teens hitting
        > trees, women driving off of
        > curves and some even into houses are the roads that
        > bad down there or just
        > the drivers that careless....what was the story
        > about?
        >
        > Curious, and would like to know, what the religious
        > freedom was about..
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > ~Cathie~

        =====
        �For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes�
        -John 5:21

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • jasperh98
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hey here is another sorta interesting link
          http://www.amishabuse.com/Ordnung.htm

          That'll probably be all from me....seein's how we shun attention :)

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., Jasper Wall <jasperh98@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Cathie !
          >
          > Apparently that link is no longer supported......but I
          > found another one that still works!! Here it is
          >
          > http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSLaw0204/11_amish-ap.html
          >
          > (shorter to boot !)
          >
          > Interesting story, let me know what you think.
          >
          > As far as our drivers here, maybe some of those
          > accidents were people dodging the buggies.
          >
          > -Jasper
          > =====
          > "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even
          so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes"
          > -John 5:21
        • knoxknoxwhosthere
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2002
            Dear Jasper,

            I just spent the better part of the afternoon reading through this
            website. Man... They could give Pharisees lessons in legalism. It
            is especially maddening to read about the various types of abuses
            that occur and the immunity that these people receive from the civil
            magistrate for gross forms of abuse. It sure paints a different
            picture of the Amish lifestyle than we are usually presented with.

            Cheryl

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "jasperh98" <jasperh98@y...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
              Hi Cheryl,
              the public perception of the Amish is correct in some
              areas and skewed in other areas. This particular sect,
              the Swartzentruber's, is one of the strictest in their
              legalism and lifestyle. I recently made some light
              humor here in regard to this sect, but really there's
              nothing funny about their legalism and its effect on
              people. May our Lord bless you, Cheryl.
              -Jasper

              --- knoxknoxwhosthere <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              wrote:
              > Dear Jasper,
              >
              > I just spent the better part of the afternoon
              > reading through this
              > website. Man... They could give Pharisees lessons
              > in legalism. It
              > is especially maddening to read about the various
              > types of abuses
              > that occur and the immunity that these people
              > receive from the civil
              > magistrate for gross forms of abuse. It sure paints
              > a different
              > picture of the Amish lifestyle than we are usually
              > presented with.
              >
              > Cheryl
              >
              > --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "jasperh98"
              > <jasperh98@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > Hey here is another sorta interesting link
              > > http://www.amishabuse.com/Ordnung.htm

              =====
              �For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes�
              -John 5:21

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • raging_calvinist
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2002
                The Amish are a strange breed, indeed. I've eaten in Amish homes.
                I've been to their market places. I've even been on a horse and
                buggy ride. And in some sense they are like all other groups: Some
                of them are the nicest, kindest, most generous people you'll meet,
                and some of them are incredibly rude and just plain foul.

                I once spoke with an Amish man who was handicapped (he was a dwarf
                who was wheelchair bound). According to his report, he was outcasted
                by his society. They told him that his handicap was due to his
                being "far from God." Yeah.... maybe THAT'S what caused his handicap
                and not the incestual inbreeding committed by the "godly" in his
                society.