Re: Miracles?

  • raging_calvinist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hey Jay!

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., jrschuiling <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:

      > I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were regarding
      > supernatural experiences that many people claim to have.
      > You know things like "demonic presences" or "angel sightings".
      > I personally tend to be incredibly skeptical of such things for
      what
      > I consider good Biblical reasons but perhaps I am wrong, I just
      find
      > it supiciously dangerous that people are so intensely interested in
      > such things.

      Your self-description sounds alot like me. I am a skeptic by nature,
      and I tend doubt or simply remain agnostic about certain experiences
      people claim to have. However, I try to be careful not to completely
      discount them either. After all, the Bible does tell us of demons
      and angels, and even presents them as appearing before men every now
      and again.

      > Also what do you think of so-called medical miracles, like a
      persons
      > cancer miraculously dissapearingor what not? Do you think these are
      > from God? Or are we such so desperately looking for a 'sign' that
      we
      > are distracted from the Word of God.

      I'll tell you what... If I had cancer, and it suddenly disappeared, I
      would, without delay, attribute it to the gracious and merciful God
      of Heaven from Whom all good and perfect gifts come!

      BUT... If such a healing were part signs and wonders performed by a
      man preaching LIES, then, although it be a temporary blessing to the
      one healed, I would reject the signs and wonders along with the false
      teaching to which they attest.

      > My one friend told a story of a friend of hers who lived in Africa
      in
      > an area of heavy witchcraft. She says that her friend was talking
      > one of the ex-voodoo practitioners who told him of an account where
      > they, the witches, were going out to work evil on the home of a
      > Christian family, and upon encountering the house the witches found
      > it surrounded by a ring of flames that they could not cross.
      > Of course when I suggested that this was more than likely entirely
      > untrue and only served to foster more vain superstitions, I was
      > attacked and shunned by the group, how dare I dare question the
      > pathos driven experiential religion of the masses.

      Yeah, I know what you mean. I had some friends from Cambodia who had
      some spooky stories to tell. Could they be true? I suppose so. We
      live in a part of the world that has been saturated by the Bible, but
      there are still places where witchcraft, sorcery, and superstition
      reign uncontended. Missionaries who have visited these areas often
      have some amazing stories to tell. In college I heard of a man who
      stumbled upon a snake in India... and the snake reportedly stood up
      and spoke! While that seems far-fetched to my Western mind, I must
      ask myself, "If I believe the Bible is true, why do I find it so hard
      to accept the idea of talking snakes?"

      Modern day "faith healers" are a joke. Do me a favor: If you can
      heal people by touching them and blowing on them, take a walk through
      a rehab or a hospital, or a hospice, and do some REAL healings for
      people who really need it. No more of this "I had some pain in my
      back, but now I can run back and forth just fine!"

      Ya know, there are some stories about Martin Luther and other
      Reformers healing people, prophesying, etc. Not exactly Benny Hinn,
      but still quite interesting!

      gmw.
    • jrschuiling
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
        Hey Jer!
        (you owe me a re: by the way, if I remember ;)

        >> Your self-description sounds alot like me. I am a skeptic by
        nature, and I tend doubt or simply remain agnostic about certain
        experiences people claim to have. However, I try to be careful not
        to completely discount them either. After all, the Bible does tell
        us of demons and angels, and even presents them as appearing before
        men every now and again.

        Here's the thing, as revelation goes I consider myself a cessationist
        (I grant I have not studied this extensively), I believe Rev.22:18 to
        be God's declarative statement closing the Holy Canon and assuring us
        of the end and fulfilment of Divine Revelation. When we look at the
        visitation of angels in Scripture, from my understanding, they always
        serve as God's messengers of His word, the word for angel in the
        Bible meaning messenger. Now it would seem to me that a visionary
        visitation of an angel is not neccesarry in this dipensation, in fact
        it would seem to me to be against the Word of God.
        As far a fallen angel visitation, that would seem very possible
        given that we have examples from Scripture and that it is the game of
        devils to decieve, although still here the activity of Satan is
        limited, he being bound by Christ.

        Well I have to go, I have more to say but it will have to wait.
        Please let me know what you think, am I way off or what?

        Jason
      • raging_calvinist
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2002
          > Hey Jer!
          > (you owe me a re: by the way, if I remember ;)

          Oh! Thanks for the reminder, I'll get on it, bro.

          > Here's the thing, as revelation goes I consider myself a
          > cessationist
          > (I grant I have not studied this extensively), I believe Rev.22:18
          > to be God's declarative statement closing the Holy Canon and
          > assuring us of the end and fulfilment of Divine Revelation. When we
          > look at the visitation of angels in Scripture, from my
          > understanding, they always serve as God's messengers of His word,
          > the word for angel in the Bible meaning messenger.

          The Angels are more than just messengers of God's Word. They also
          carry out His judgments (2 Sam. 24:16-17 -- David SAW the Angel);
          They protect and deliver God's people (Acts 12:6-11 -- Peter SAW the
          Angel; Daniel 6:22). The angels are all around us, and it may please
          God at times to open our eyes to see them (as he did to Elisha: 2
          Kings 6). And remember to be kind to strangers (Hebrews 13:2)!

          Most of all... be very cautious because we know that the devil can
          appear as an angel of light, and even "angelic encounters" need to be
          weighed against Scripture (2 Corinthians 11:14; Galatians 1:8).

          Check out those verses and let me know what you think, Jason.