swartzentruber's

  • jasperh98
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2002
      Interesting news story on religious freedom
      http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html
      _standard.xsl?/base/news/1022232745232710.xml

      (you may have to copy & paste the link)

      Jerry, was that You in the back of the courtroom?
      :)

      -jasper
    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2002
        No Jasper! That WAS NOT me in the back of the court room! :)

        This is a very interesting case, though. With traffic laws, we must
        remember that even if we refuse to submit to an irreligious State for
        religious reasons, there is this issue of safety. I can't tell you
        how many times I've nearly plowed over a horse and buggy while
        driving through Lancaster and Lebanon Counties (Pennsylvania, for the
        folks reading this in other parts of the world). There was even a
        case at my college where the son of a professor hit a horse and buggy
        carrying two newlyweds.... the Amish couple died. Now, I'm not sure
        how a big reflective triangle is going to solve the problem, as most
        times I've been in danger seem to be when on a windy or hilly road
        where you only catch sight of the buggy a few feet before you
        overtake them (either by swerving around them or by smashing into
        them).

        Anyway, interesting case indeed.

        Now, why wouldn't a professed Christian want to obey all the laws of
        a land? Discuss.

        gmw.
      • repentant_deejay
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2002
          ---
          Well, are we talking about 'laws of the land' in a Western Country
          such as Britain or the US, or one of the others, where a tyrannical
          dictator is in power?

          ~Deejay

          In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"
          <ragingcalvinist@c...> wrote:
          > No Jasper! That WAS NOT me in the back of the court room! :)
          >
          > This is a very interesting case, though. With traffic laws, we
          must
          > remember that even if we refuse to submit to an irreligious State
          for
          > religious reasons, there is this issue of safety. I can't tell you
          > how many times I've nearly plowed over a horse and buggy while
          > driving through Lancaster and Lebanon Counties (Pennsylvania, for
          the
          > folks reading this in other parts of the world). There was even a
          > case at my college where the son of a professor hit a horse and
          buggy
          > carrying two newlyweds.... the Amish couple died. Now, I'm not
          sure
          > how a big reflective triangle is going to solve the problem, as
          most
          > times I've been in danger seem to be when on a windy or hilly road
          > where you only catch sight of the buggy a few feet before you
          > overtake them (either by swerving around them or by smashing into
          > them).
          >
          > Anyway, interesting case indeed.
          >
          > Now, why wouldn't a professed Christian want to obey all the laws
          of
          > a land? Discuss.
          >
          > gmw.
        • Jasper Wall
          Message 4 of 4 , May 28, 2002
            --- raging_calvinist wrote: "Now, why wouldn't a
            professed Christian want to obey all the laws of
            a land? Discuss."

            hehehehe.....I thought you might want to springboard
            off of that story.

            True religious liberty is dear to our hearts, but when
            I find that one is clamoring for religious liberty for
            the wrong reasons, then I seem to oppose that one.

            Safety is an interesting issue. Is it sufficient
            reason to restrict or diminish religious or civil
            liberties? If it ever can be, how does one establish
            the parameters for such - i.e., how unsafe does
            something have to be to justify how much
            restriction......
            Gun control advocates bark alot about safety.

            The horse-and-buggy folks have bothered me for quite
            some time. Not only are they a huge danger to my
            family members, but also they cause significant wear
            and maintenance costs to our road system and yet they
            do not pay road-user taxes to provide for and maintain
            those roads.

            The "obey all the laws of a land" thing runs much
            deeper and into headier stuff. I welcome the input.

            Jasper Swartzentruber

            ps- yes Friendly's it shall be, sometime, sometime

            =====
            �For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes�
            -John 5:21

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com