Re: A Reformed Godfather for a Catholic Baptism?

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22 8:57 AM
      I forgot to mention that I pointed him to the most important thing
      (the Bible as well in Eph. 5:7 and 1.Cor. 6:17.
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
      <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
      > That doesn't sound right. My friend (a Reformed Presbyterian) was
      > asked to become a godfather to his Catholic friend's daughter's
      > Baptism, and he accepted. I found out after the Baptism. I
      strongly
      > discourage such a practice for why would one defile oneself with
      the
      > vile prostitute of Rome. I despise false ecumenism. Anyway, I did
      > confront him on his why he participated in the prostitute's rite of
      > Baptism. I also showed him some writings of Calvin (including Book
      4
      > of the Institutes), Luther, and Spurgeon regarding the Apostasy of
      > Catholicism. Since he didn't seem sufficiently catechised, I also
      > pointed him to the 1646 WCOF with Bible proofs (despite his
      church's
      > using the 1973 WCOF) and the Catechisms.
      >
      > However, another side of me saw the positive (if the daughter's
      > parents died while she was young, then my friend would raise her in
      > the One True Faith, which is the Reformed Faith).
      >
      > Did I rightly admonish him and point him to the right place even in
      > the light of the potential positive?
      >
      > Pax Christi,
      > Whit
    • raging_calvinist
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23 11:49 PM
        Whit,

        You are right to warn your brother to flee from Rome's fornication
        with idolatry. A Christian ought not to participate in this false
        worship. While I don't think it would be necessarily unlawful for a
        Christian to agree to raise a child if the parents died, it is
        unlawful for a Christian to agree to raise a child to be Roman
        Catholic, and it is unlawful for a Christian to participate in false
        worship.

        gmw.
      • seamrog1935
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24 6:16 AM
          Thanks, gmw, for your reply. I also strongly agree with your
          comments regarding lawfulness.

          Whit

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"