A Reformed Godfather for a Catholic Baptism?

  • seamrog1935
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2002
      That doesn't sound right. My friend (a Reformed Presbyterian) was
      asked to become a godfather to his Catholic friend's daughter's
      Baptism, and he accepted. I found out after the Baptism. I strongly
      discourage such a practice for why would one defile oneself with the
      vile prostitute of Rome. I despise false ecumenism. Anyway, I did
      confront him on his why he participated in the prostitute's rite of
      Baptism. I also showed him some writings of Calvin (including Book 4
      of the Institutes), Luther, and Spurgeon regarding the Apostasy of
      Catholicism. Since he didn't seem sufficiently catechised, I also
      pointed him to the 1646 WCOF with Bible proofs (despite his church's
      using the 1973 WCOF) and the Catechisms.

      However, another side of me saw the positive (if the daughter's
      parents died while she was young, then my friend would raise her in
      the One True Faith, which is the Reformed Faith).

      Did I rightly admonish him and point him to the right place even in
      the light of the potential positive?

      Pax Christi,
      Whit
    • seamrog1935
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2002
        I forgot to mention that I pointed him to the most important thing
        (the Bible as well in Eph. 5:7 and 1.Cor. 6:17.
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "seamrog1935"
        <wh.roberts@v...> wrote:
        > That doesn't sound right. My friend (a Reformed Presbyterian) was
        > asked to become a godfather to his Catholic friend's daughter's
        > Baptism, and he accepted. I found out after the Baptism. I
        strongly
        > discourage such a practice for why would one defile oneself with
        the
        > vile prostitute of Rome. I despise false ecumenism. Anyway, I did
        > confront him on his why he participated in the prostitute's rite of
        > Baptism. I also showed him some writings of Calvin (including Book
        4
        > of the Institutes), Luther, and Spurgeon regarding the Apostasy of
        > Catholicism. Since he didn't seem sufficiently catechised, I also
        > pointed him to the 1646 WCOF with Bible proofs (despite his
        church's
        > using the 1973 WCOF) and the Catechisms.
        >
        > However, another side of me saw the positive (if the daughter's
        > parents died while she was young, then my friend would raise her in
        > the One True Faith, which is the Reformed Faith).
        >
        > Did I rightly admonish him and point him to the right place even in
        > the light of the potential positive?
        >
        > Pax Christi,
        > Whit
      • raging_calvinist
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2002
          Whit,

          You are right to warn your brother to flee from Rome's fornication
          with idolatry. A Christian ought not to participate in this false
          worship. While I don't think it would be necessarily unlawful for a
          Christian to agree to raise a child if the parents died, it is
          unlawful for a Christian to agree to raise a child to be Roman
          Catholic, and it is unlawful for a Christian to participate in false
          worship.

          gmw.
        • seamrog1935
          Message 4 of 4 , May 24, 2002
            Thanks, gmw, for your reply. I also strongly agree with your
            comments regarding lawfulness.

            Whit

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@y..., "raging_calvinist"